Chapter 1: Troublesome, What A Drag!

Part 1

"What a drag. What's the point of setting an alarm to wake you up if it rings after you wake up? Now I gotta turn it off to stop the ringing but I'm too relaxed to move but if I don't turn it off, it's gonna keep ringing and ringing. Some mornings are such a drag"

He eventually got up and stopped the irritating sound of the alarm. Did his usual morning routine, ate breakfast and head out. He's been living in an apartment that's 15 minutes away from his old house, his parent's house, for a couple of weeks, he still hasn't gotten used to it. Since the last time he checked today is his day off, he has no missions so he planned to spend the day with Asuma. He wondered around the village for a little while before heading to Asuma's house. 30 minutes later he arrived at his old sensei's house.

A tall black haired lady came out the door, he knew immediately who it was.

"Kurenai sensei?"

"Oh, Shikamaru. Good morning" Kurenai responded "Here to see Asuma?"

"Yeah. Why are you here so early?" He asked, not being disrespectful obviously

"Well, I came to discuss something important with Asuma." She explains

"Well, I'll see you around then" He waves goodbye to Kurenai

_____

"When you told me that you and Kurenai sensei were together. I didn't really believe it" He admits. Playing Chogi with Asuma has always been a good way to spend his time.

"I didn't really expect you to. You were going to find out sooner or later" Asuma says

"That's true" He says in between the giggles

"The Chunin exams are coming up"

"Ye-" And he's cut off by somebody calling out his name

"Shikamaru!" A Jonin calls out "Sorry to interrupt but Lady Hokage summons you"

"Me?" He questions

"Yeah, immediately"

"I thought today's my day off. What a drag" He complains

"Well, I guess we'll finish our game later" Asuma comments "You know, you'd realize how much easy life is if you stop complaining about what a drag everything is"

"Huh.. What do you mean?" He's obviously confused by what Asuma said.

"I have a feeling you'll find out soon."

And he left, headed to the Hokage's Office. On his way he wondered what could be the reason the Hokage summons him. He had today all planned out, okay, maybe not. He just decided he'd spent some time with Asuma and sleep maybe even go see his parents if he got the chance but things don't always go as planned. Minutes later he made it. He knocked on the door and Lady Tsunade instructed him to come in and so he did

The room was a little crowded, and by people he's not used to except Shizune, Sakura and Tsunade herself. His eyes first met a tall female, almost his height, wearing a black, short-sleeved kimono that reaches down her legs with slits along the side and a more revealing hairline. Her hair tied in four ponytails. He knew he'd this person before, the female faced him and her eyes confirmed it for him, those teal eyes. It's her, it's the Kunoichi he faced in the Chunin exams, Temari of the Sand.

"Temari?!" Obviously, he was not expecting to see her. He actually hoped to not see her again after she saved him from Tayuya

"What? It's not like you've never seen me before" Temari spits.

"Why is she here? I definitely wasn't expecting to see her here, in fact, I wasn't expecting to see her at all. I thought that time in the forest was the last time I'd seen of her. Sure, I'm grateful she arrived during that battle with Tayuya but I honestly I didn't want to see her again. But I have to admit, she has grown up"

"Yeah, and it seems some things don't change" He responds

"What did you say?!"

"Guess I made her angry"

He then diverted his eyes to other people in the room to avoid making Temari really angry. For a second he almost couldn't recognise him.

"Naruto?"

"Hey! Shikamaru!" Naruto responds. He still has his grin

"Look at you. You've grown taller" Shikamaru compliments

"Yep. You've grown taller too but besides that you're still exactly the same" The blonde knuckle head shoots back

"You're still the same too"

"Lady Hokage, I would like to start organizing everything with the Chunin exams now" Temari says as humble as she could. She couldn't stand being in a crowded room like this

"Ah, yes. Shikamaru, I have a mission for you" Tsunade states

"A mission?"

"Yes. I know today was supposed to be your day off but i couldnt find anybody perfect for this mission except you. You know Temari from the Sand. She's a Jonin, and she'll be in charge of getting the Chunin Exams ready. So your mission is to be her escort as long as she is in the village"

"Me?" "What a drag. The last thing I need is to be with somebody like her 24/7. Why me?"

"Yes. Temari you may start right away"

"Right!" Temari responds

"Well, Naruto, I'll see you around"

And so he left following Temari. Hours flew by, but following Temari everywhere made it seem like it was taking forever. It was a drag for him, how he wished he was a cloud. Just going where the wind takes him, with no worry in the world. The hot blistering sun made it worse for him.

"What's up with you?" Temari asks pulling Shikamaru out of his thoughts

"Huh?"

"Why're you starring at the sky? You should watch where you're going, you know"

"Don't worry about me. Anyway, aren't you a little exhausted? You've been at this for hours and you haven't taken a little rest. Not to mention your journey from the Sand to here"

"There's no time! The exams are almost here. I have to get everything ready!"

"But you should at least get something to eat then. You won't finish your work for today if you work on an empty stomach" Shikamaru suggests

"Fine"

They soon came across a restaurant, they both had something to eat.

"I never thought I'd see you again" Shikamaru admits

"So did I"

"Yet here I am, following you around like a puppy. It's a drag really"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She questions, a little offended

"Nothing. How much is the load of work you're left to get done today?" He questions trying to change the subject

"Not that much" Temari states, eating the last of what was left of her food "What're you doing?"

"What? I'm paying for the meal"

"I can pay for my bill, thanks" She spits

"Relax. No need to be hostile. It wouldn't be gentleman-like if I let you pay"

"Tch!" Temari clenches her teeth. "Fine" She finally agrees

And so they left the restaurant and spend the rest of the day prepping for the exams.