Chapter Five

I stumble out of the bathroom, catching myself on the wall before continuing on my way. The sound of Bring It Back pounds through the hallway as I make my way back into the living room. Riley’s nowhere in sight, even after I push through teenage bodies moving back and forth to the song. I finally spot him a few feet away next to the staircase, his hands on a skinny blonde bimbo’s hips moving her to the beat. I smirk and head to the table full of various bottles of alcohol. I’ve clearly had enough straight alcohol so I settle for hard lemonade and drop into a seat. The room is buzzing with hormones and it’s clear which guys are getting lucky tonight. An attractive black guy with dreads has a girl bent in half and pressed to his crotch in the center of the room, and if I wasn’t drunk I would have found this to be a bit disturbing. College kids are freaks.

Soon the girl bent over drops her ass to the ground and stands back up, rocking her hips side to side faster than what should be humanly possible. The black guy clearly enjoys this, and I can tell because someone’s sporting wood. She spins around and pulls him into a kiss, backing him up against a wall. Time for me to look away. I spot a blonde girl in the corner of the room drinking and watching other’s dance like I am. It takes a few moments to realize it’s Elle from school. She makes eye contact with me and gives a small wave. I grin and raise my bottle to signal I’ve seen her. I wonder why she’s here. Riley dragged me to this party after I complained long enough about having nothing to do.

I stopped going to class because I’m not a fan of my teachers trying to kill me. Riley wanted me to tell someone, but I was too scared that he would keep his promise up. He threatened to hurt the people I cared about. I wasn’t going to be responsible for their pain. My mother texted me an hour ago pissed that I hadn’t been going to school for the past three days when I said I was, but a quick delete solved that problem fast. I’ll have to go back on Monday, but until then, screw it. The song slowly fades to silence before another one starts up. Riley dances his way towards me, eyebrows bouncing suggestively. “Get up and dance with me,” he smiles. God, he’s seriously drunk.

“Naw, man, you know I can’t-“

“Shut up and dance with me. You know you love this song.” I sigh and nod my head. Badd by the Ying Yang Twins happens to be one of my favorite trashy songs. I stand up and allow him to pull me into the middle of the room. A few seconds of idly hip swaying ensues before we both get into it. I can’t hide the huge smile on my face when he pretends to grind on me because he’s god awful at it.

“Like this, dude,” I shout, demonstrating how to properly move with someone as they dance. He cracks up laughing and tries it out for himself on some poor girl who didn’t expect it. A weird look crosses her face and she quickly retreats. I double over with laughter.

“Like you could do better!” he says loudly.

“Find me someone to grind on and I guarantee they won’t pull away.”

“Fine. Blondie over there in the corner.” I follow his gaze and scrunch up my face. Elle.

“You’re on, dude.” I slip between horny and sweating twenty-somethings and stand in front of her. She looks up innocently and smiles. I feel like I’m going to end up grinding on a small child instead of a girl my own age.

“Hey, Jonah!”

“Hey there, Elle. I kind of have something I need to tell you.”

“Shoot.”

“Okay, well… I need to grind on you.” She sputters on her drink and I crack a smile.

“Is that so?” Her eyebrow rises. “Why’s that?”

“My friend Riley over there challenged me.” It’s not really true, but hey, minor details. “I have to grind on you so I can prove him wrong.” She looks offended, and for a moment I regret even coming over. Then her expression eases and she smiles.