𝟬𝟬𝟮. 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗼𝗻𝗮 𝗿𝘆𝗱𝗲𝗿 & 𝗴𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘆𝘁𝗵 𝗽𝗮𝗹𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗲𝘂𝗱

EXPOSING POP CULTURE
002. winona ryder & gwenyth paltrow feud

warning: this chapter includes mentions of mental health issues && shoplifting

REAL FRIENDSHIP is hard to find in the entertainment industry, considering everyone is made out to be your "rival." It gets tiring for everyone who's in the industry, so when they do find a real friend, it's easy to throw all your trust at them.

The old friendship between Winona Ryder and Gwenyth Paltrow has shown that it's important to always keep your eye out, for someone you thought was your friend can backstab you at any minute.

Winona Ryder is loved all around the world and has gained fame for her some of her roles in:

— Kim in Edward Scissorhands
— Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice
— Veronica Sawyer in Heathers
— Susanna Kaysen in Girl, Interrupted
— Jo March in Little Women (1994)
— Joyce Byers in Stranger Things

and almost Viola De Lesseps in Shakespeare in Love. Key word. Almost.

In the '90s, Winona and Gwen were almost inseparable and were by each other's houses almost all the time. They were seen at parties together as well.

The two even dated the same men and even after their breakups, their bond was still attributed and even solidified. It seemed as if there could be no arising problems between the two beloved stars.

Originally, Winona was supposed to be casted in Shakespeare in Love and even had the script for it.

One day though when Gwyneth was over at Winona's house, she stumbled across the script for Shakespeare in Love. She was immediately in love with it. Maybe a little too in love.

Next, she was able to audition for the movie and same role that Winona was set to play.

Unfortunately, she got the part of Viola. On top of that, she won the Academy Award for Best Actress for that part, as well.

When Winona spoke out about this and said that she stole her role, Gwen claimed that she was just jealous of her and made up these "lies".

This caused the friendship between these two to end bitterly.

Later in 2001, Ryder was arrested for shoplifting due to many mental health issues and breakdowns. She was sentenced to three years of supervised probation, was ordered to do 480 hours of community service, and was fined a total of $2,700.

She took a long hiatus from acting in the 2000s which was explainable because of her mental health and wanting to get away from the industry as a whole.

Even though it was obvious that Winona was going through many things back then, some people found joy in what she went through. Gwyneth Paltrow.

On her goop blog, Gwyneth wrote a blog post which is believed to be towards Winona.

She wrote: "This person really did what they could to hurt me. I was deeply upset, I was Angry. I was all of those things you feel when you found out someone you liked was venomous and dangerous."[ Speaking about Ryder claiming that Paltrow stole her role as Viola in Shakespeare in Love. ]

"One day, I heard that something unfortunate and humiliating had happened to this person and my reaction was deep relief and happiness." She goes on to state her happiness towards Winona's slight downfall in the early 2000s due to the shoplifting incident.

Hearing Gwyneth talk about an ex friend like this, who was clearly going through something at the time, is completely disgusting.

The fact that she was okay talking about this in the first place is unbelievable by itself.

First off, taking your best friends role and when she speaks about it you get upset? Then when she obviously needs help, you feel happiness? And is okay with speaking about this to the public?

It's so obvious how Paltrow is the jealous one here, stealing roles and feeling joy when being at your worst tells it all.

The only thing that's keeping her relevant, currently, is her role as Pepper Potts, Tony Stark's Wife, in Marvel. It shows how real karma is.