s i x- II

Avika looked shocked from his sudden outburst. Touching his forehead, she said, "You okay?" He smacked her hand away, saying, "Why wouldn't I be?"

Avika opened her mouth to retort, but then closed it. The dizzy feeling which filled her entire chest, just disappeared. Instead a hollow feeling replaced it, and she crossed her arms across her chest, suddenly feeling confused. Frowning lightly, she said, "What was I saying?" Aditya first looked at her like she was having a spasm, then said, scratching the back of his neck, "Wait, even I don't remember." Aditya counted his fingers, and said, "That's weird. I counted the number of stalls, all exit places and even the number of food items being served. I can't remember that too." 

"Uh-Wow, what is happening?" She muttered to herself, surprised that she can't remember. She even remembered every single conversation she had with her Naanai, but right now she can't even remember that. She muttered, looking at orange lights that littered the sky, "I usually have a good memory and I never forget so easily."

Aditya scoffed and said, "Can't say the same. But then again, even I don't forget so easily." His lips were tilted upwards, as he watched the orange lights too. It reminded him of his home

Again, Avika said, completely out of blue, seeing a big, huge and burly man yell at his small child for lying a few yards away from there, "Why are you still here? I thought you were going somewhere..." A look of hurt flashed across his face, but it disappeared as quickly as lightning. Combing his hair using his hands, he truthfully said, "I don't know where I was going. As I said before, I can't remember anything."

Before they could dwell on it any longer, Avika suddenly said, switching topics again, as she saw the pink lady who supplied her the tissues dipping something in apple syrup, "Do you want to eat something?"

Aditya nodded, completely forgetting what happened literally a second ago. He held out his hand, being a perfect gentlemen, he said, "Shall we?" The orange lights reminded him of his home, and that made him nostalgic. He didn't want to dwell on that topic, so he thought, what is better than food. 

Avika stifled a grin, and said, "We shall," and grabbed his hand. Her heart skipped a beat, seeing Aditya's brown hair stick out in every direction because of heavy winds and that dazzling smile that painted his lips, but she dismissed as her being so happy after such a long time. For a moment, she felt as if she saw something pass his face, but she dismissed it. They passed a big blue Ferris wheel--the weird thing about the fair was each of the ride was of one single color and not different colors--children and adults shrieking. The air around them wasn't awkward but it wasn't comfortable either. Yet both of them were grinning ear to ear for no reason, buried in their own thoughts. The air felt humid and sultry, and the grass beneath their shoes felt damp.

A small kid passed between their legs, almost causing Aditya to lose his balance, yet he didn't shout. The night was too good to care about such petty things. They both forgot that they were supposed to go eat something, and instead joined the line for one of the rides. There was already a long queue, but it didn't matter. After all, good things took time. Avika turned to Aditya, whose warm hand was still tucked in hers, and blurted, "Why are you here? Risk or work?"

It was no big deal, but almost every news reporter or journalist sent their kids or someone's kids here. The only fair in the world where no news reporter or journalist or any adult with a snooping nose could enter. It was said that every time someone who wanted to show the world how The Night Fair actually was, they either died or had no memory. Only and only kids survived. But even if they didn't die they still had no memory.

Aditya shrugged, and said, "Work. My great-grandfather, Ammank visited the fair when it opened for the first time. He--" A lemon hit him on his back, making him yelp. He rubbed the spot--just below his shoulders vigorously, and picked up the lemon. He looked behind him to catch the person, but he could spot no one with a lemon in his or her hand. He looked at Avika, confusion swirling in his green eyes. Avika looked at him, deep in thought, and asked, "Great-grandfather?"

But Aditya looked at her, asking, "Who?" Avika's eyes widened slightly. First cloak, and now this? She thought. She shook her head, thinking she must be mad--after all this place was perfect. Swallowing her doubts, she again asked, "You were talking about your great-grandfather?"

Aditya raised his perfectly trimmed eyebrows. He curiously asked, "Why would I be talking about him?" Before Avika could ask a question, he turned around, and went a little forward, trying to see how long the line was. Coming back to her, he immediately said, "The line is way too long. Should we do something else?"

Her lips parted slightly, she stared at him. He waited for her to answer. Avika blinked her eyes, and said, "Was I saying something before?" Shaking her head slightly, she continued, "Nevermind. It can't be as important as enjoying the fair."

She glanced at the line, and said, "Yes. Definitely." He once again grabbed her hand and her heart skipped a beat. Again. Feeling weird, she drew her hand back from his. She hated whatever feeling that just passed through her heart, so she just gave him a short smile, and crossed her arms around her chest. They both started walking away from the queue, again forgetting what they were doing. The wind had died down, and the noise around them just increased. The rides seemed like they were newly painted, they both could smell turpentine. Avika smiled again, as it reminded her of days when she and Naanai used to paint the walls of their house. 

The fair just appeared brighter than before as they walked away from the rides. A weird bubble of happiness suddenly filled her heart as she saw a boy and a girl dancing near the dance floor. Yes, they had a dance floor in the fair. Aditya murmured to himself, "Why am I so happy?" But Avika heard him, and said, "Me too. And I don't even know why I am so happy."

Avika sighed. She ran her hand through her short yet thick black hair, feeling really confused. She couldn't remember anything about what had happened before. She looked around widely, wondering what she was thinking. Then suddenly, she burst out singing. Aditya widened his eyes, and then covered his ears. He stumbled back a bit. A man laughed loudly.

Avika stopped singing. She looked around, shocked. Aditya staggered forward, receiving another heart attack within two minutes. He clutched his chest dazed. He almost yelled, "Where did you appear from?"

The man just winked, and said, snapping his fingers, "Let's just say, out of thin air." Avika gave him a once-over. He looked in his mid-forties, his black hair filled with grey streaks. His pot belly was clearly visible even though he wore loose fitted white clothes. He stroked his beard, and said, putting a hand forward; holding a tray filled with drink, "Would you care for a drink?"

Something came over both Avika and Aditya. They quickly grabbed the glasses which were filled with something of orangish color. They looked at their glasses, feeling uneasy, yet they had this wild urge to drink. So busy deciding, they missed the smirk on the man's face. But before they could bring it to their lips, the glasses disappeared. They looked up in confusion, and found that instead of the man with drink, a woman draped in purple from top to bottom was standing there. 

~~~~~~~~~~

a/n: yes, this chapter is confusing. both avika and aditya kept forgetting what they were saying. their actions weren't in their control and their mood swings were wild. basically they weren't in control of their actions. the answer is in this chapter itself. don't worry, if you didn't understand, the next chapter will reveal the answers.