chapter twenty-seven

(four months and two weeks in)

It had been two weeks since they had found information that was going to save their friends. Not wanting to wake up Vince, Harriet and Bea told the leader the great news early that morning. To say he was ecstatic was an understatement. Everyone was excited and happy that they were going to get their friends back.

"Bea?"

She hummed in response, putting down the book she was reading, her head snapping to Vince.

"Can you go with Harriet's wood group. A few of the kids have some sort of bug goin' around."

"Of course," Bea nodded, a smile etched on her face.

"You're the best," he sighed with relief, "The group is meeting at the hill at two-thirty so you have a few hours."

"Okay, cool. Thanks for letting me know," Bea nodded.

---

"You got everything?" Harriet double checked.

"Yes Harri. I have everything. You've checked a trillion times," Bea groaned, rolling her eyes.

"The first aid kit?"

"Yes," Bea glared, becoming impatient.

"Okay, okay," Harried sighed, holding her hands up in defence before turning to face the kids in the group.

"Right guys, remember this is only a quick trip. Stay in groups of four. And try not to injure yourself."

The group nodded before dispersing and making their way towards the entrance of the wood. Harriet and Bea stayed at the back, making sure nobody lagged behind.

"Thank you for coming," Harriet whispered quietly to Bea, "Sorry it was last minute."

"Nah it's fine," Bea dismissed. The two walked together in a comfortable silence, the only thing to be heard was the hearty chatter if the other kids.

After a brisk half-an-hour walk, Harriet and Bea reached the outpost where the log pile was. Usually, the younger kids would cut down the main logs and then Harriet and some of the adults would chop them into smaller chunks - this way was quicker and more effective.

"We got some!"

Bea and Harriet turned their attention to the chirpy voice. One of the boys with blonde hair, hurried forwards, a smile on his face before dropping a pile of logs in front of them.

"Thanks Benny. Good job!" Harriet smiled, a look of adoration on her face. The young boy blushed red before running off to catch up with the rest of his small group.

Bea had come with the wood trip a few times in the past, however not that many so she didn't really know the names of any of the kids. Harriet on the other hand did; Bea could see the closeness between the her and the kids and how much they loved at looked up to her.

"Right, let's get started," Harriet exclaimed, gripping one of the logs and placing it up-right on the stone slab in front of her. She then picked up her cross-cut saw, swinging it upwards before smashing it downwards onto the log, chopping it straight in half. Bea copied her actions, cutting through the log in ease.

They were halfway through Benny's pile when other kids started bringing their piles, making Harriet and Bea's pile even bigger.

"I can't believe we're going to get the others back soon," Harriet breathed out in disbelief. This was a conversation that had come up frequently between them.

"I know. Same," Bea agreed, "I guess everything we've done has paid off, huh."

"Yep. I just wish we could get them sooner," Harriet complained.