Chapter 19: To The Discord of the Once Gone

Sun threw the Pokéball and called out Corviknight. At the Ula'ula Island's Kahuna signal, the opposing Pokémon immediately launched toward each other. The Raven Pokémon's talons clashed against the Pincer Pokémon's claws as the two Steel-type fought with speed and force. Guzma ordered Scizor to use Bullet Punch, but Corviknight evaded and seized his opponent's arm. The Flying-type Pokémon propelled upward, carrying the struggling Bug-type to the skies, before releasing him. His body bursting in orange aura and he dove down toward the freefalling Pincer Pokémon. The battlefield exploded with dust as Guzma's second Pokémon struck the ground and the cheers of the spectators in the stadium overwhelming the announcer's.

"I am happy you came by to visit, Gladion-kun." The soft clink of a plate caught Gladion's attention. He pried his eyes off the television and looked up to thank his company. "You've been quite busy these days. Apart from helping Lusamine to run the Aether Foundation, you're also a contestant in the League."

"It's manageable." Gladion replied as he gratefully accepted the spoon offered to him. "My match this morning was already finished. I'm just waiting for the other finalist."

Selene set down her own plate of curry on the table and sat across him. "Of course. I watched your and Sophocles' match. Both of you are incredible." She sighed wistfully. "Ah...how I wish I could battle again. I'm too old to take the Island Challenge."

Gladion's spoon clinked at the rim of his bowl. "I think you still can, Selene-san. There's not really a rule prohibiting anyone older than eleven years to take part in the Island Challenge."

Selene chuckled. "Even so, I'd rather watch you kids. You, Hau-kun, and Lillie-chan have a certain shine in you whenever you set out to a Pokémon battle." She smiled. "Especially you, Gladion-kun."

Gladion coughed, veering his flustered face away from the older woman's line of sight. The television screen flickered to a side-by-side display of both contestants' faces. Sun has a smug smirk on his face; Gladion expected for Guzma to be irritated at that self-satisfied expression, but strangely, the older man is grinning widely. His eyes have that kind of sparkle in them – a seemingly fiery look that is not anger, but something akin to excitement. It is the kind of thrill that he knew so well – the one that gets your blood pumping through your veins as you and your Pokémon become one in the battlefield. Whether the result is a win or lose, you could not do anything but thirst for more.

Gladion could not remember when was the last time the ex-Team Skull leader made that expression, years ago perhaps, but one thing is for certain, Guzma is clearly enjoying his battle against Sun. His eyes looked at the side of the screen, where a timer was displayed. Sun still has five minutes left to defeat Guzma. The stadium crew must have put it up following the red-eyed Trainer's earlier declaration.

"How's your mother, by the way?" Selene asked. "She must be busy, given those Ultra Beasts attacking Alola again."

"Yes, we are currently working on advancing our Ultra Aura detection system and re-training the response team. Last night's battle was toughest one we had yet." Gladion answered, keeping his face passive as possible. He did not want to admit it, but he was frustrated with his performance last night. He was supposed to be the most experienced of them in dealing with Ultra Beasts, yet he was one of those that retreated early in the operation. It might already be a given, seeing how unpredictable the Ultra Beasts have become, but still... "The President is currently working together with the Ultra Recon Squad. There are still other issues to address, but I'd rather keep it undisclosed for now. Sorry."

"It's alright." Selene smiled encouragingly. "There's no need to apologize. As for the Ultra Recon Squad, I think I heard about them before. Were they the ones that helped Moon with that Ultra Beast Necrozma six years ago? Elio told me that he is working them as well. In fact, my husband has not been home as of the late and has not called for days. I know he tends to forget things when he's buried with his work, but I couldn't help but worry."