Chapter I : British Boy

His faint, light-brown stubble was a striking contrast to his soft, pink lips. That face could look bird-like and weird one moment and incredibly lovely when one just looked at it a little longer.

Ian looked back at his sketchbook and started sketching again. Maybe he should try... Yes, like this...

"Hello to you too," Miles said, yawning, "My day was fine. Thanks for asking."

Ian didn't know why he let the boy be so cheeky with him. Any other employee of his wouldn't even dream of acting like that around him. Miles felt entirely too comfortable around him, which was... perplexing. Ian had never given Miles a reason to think that it would be acceptable to behave this way.

He glanced back at his model and found Miles watching his hands with a strange expression.

"What?" Ian said, his attention back on the sketch. While Miles's face still wasn't quite right, it was better than his previous attempts.

"I think I'm attracted to you..."

Sarah nearly screamed when she felt the hardcover novel being pulled out of her grasp. She extended her hand in an attempt to snatch it back, but the thief was much too quick for her, which was probably a given seeing as they had over twenty years on her.

"Young lady, what do you think you are doing?" Sarah hesitantly raises her gaze to see her mother, a tall, Hispanic woman with really soft features, wearing an amused smile and waiting for a response. Well, technically, she was only five feet three inches, but she looked tall and even slightly intimidating from Sarah's position on her bed.

"Um, reading," She says softly, getting up to sit quietly on the end of her bed. She tried to appear casual as if she had not just been caught red-handed, but despite her mother's height, her presence was immense.

"And who, do tell, allowed you to read this book?" Not giving her a chance to respond, her mother continued, "This, Sweetheart, is mine, and it's brand-new. Heck, I haven't even gotten to read it yet. Which is why it was hidden in my room. Care to explain how it got here?" Her gaze was challenging as she bore an almost playful glare at her daughter.

"Mamita, I'm sorry. I just couldn't wait..." Sarah's defense is cut short.

"I know the feeling, Darling," the older woman gazes at Sarah with something akin to sympathy.

"Alright, you enjoy it as much as I do. That much I can understand, but the fact remains that this is mine. I bought it, but because I am such a wonderful mother, I will so graciously let you finish reading it.." A spark of hope ignited within Sarah, "...once you start your volunteer hours at the stables." Deflating, she watched her mother turn and walk out of the room with the novel in hand. Sarah desperately chases after her.

"But, Mama, you can't just leave me hanging. I just got to the part where..." Sarah was stopped in her tracks by her mother's fiery glare.

"No spoilers." The words were uttered so murderously that Sarah could do nothing but nod in response. She knew her mother was not one to be tested. Feeling truly and utterly defeated, Sarah watched her mother disappear downstairs before making her way to the only person she could talk to right now. Marching to the study a few doors down the hall, the brunette collapsed into an armchair opposite her father's desk.

"What is it, Precious? I need to get this report submitted before noon." Her father spoke affectionately, distracted from behind his computer screen. His dark brown hair and light skin were discolored in the dim lighting of the office. He always kept the blinds tightly shut, so despite the well-risen sun outside, the only light in the room was coming from the monitor and a dim fluorescent lamp in the far back corner of the room. She admired him diligently typing for a while, watching the computer glow flicker between hues as he changed tabs.