Chapter 2

"Hey, did you hear?"

That was the first thing Yashiro heard as she entered the classroom that morning.

It was supposed to be another normal day, the sun shining bright from the sky and children happily running to school with their peers. Of course something bad had to happen.

From her past experiences, this line gave her extreme anxiety. Is this yet another rumour being shifted into more horrendous forms? Yashiro shakes away the memory of the Misaki Stairs from her head.

Unfortunately, it was exactly what she feared.

"You mean the new rumour? Of course... It's terrifying!" A girl shrieked in her class, "How could I forget such a scary rumour?"

"The poor boy..."

Full of doubt, Yashiro shakingly tapped on the girls' shoulders.

"H-Hey... Do you mind telling me the rumours everyone's talking about? I think I'm a bit behind on everything right now..." Yashiro asked nervously, beads of sweat slowly forming on her forehead.

The two girls speaking looked at each other with doubt before turning back to Yashiro. "Sure!" One of them replied, "Don't blame me if you get scared though...!

"Have you heard of this one?

The first Mystery,

The Doorway Boy.
For a price, he'll take you anywhere in time and space.

But if you don't, well,

You'll end up just like he did."

"I heard it was suicide...!"

"No way... Killing yourself with a door? That's so cruel!"

Yashiro sweat furiously. "Okay now... We can't jump into conclusions.." She began to back away slowly towards the classroom door. "First off, how could someone kill themselves with a door?"

But by the time she made her point, no one was listening. Everyone was busy coming up with their own twisted theories, warping the rumour more and more.

The girl gulped. Recollecting herself slowly, she moved her fat ankles away from the class.

"He was murdered by his friends!"

"Backstabbed!"

"Someone told me he was just a first-grade student!"

"He died holding his favourite stuffed animal... Isn't that so sad?"

"Yeah...definitely is."

--------------------------------------------

"H-Hanako-kun!" She screamed for her savior.

"You called, Yashiro~?" The ghost smirked, lounging against the window frame.

"Did you hear about that-," Yashiro began, but was knocked over as Hanako abruptly floated toward the door.

"Hey! Where are you going?" The girl cried in distress, "I really need you right now-"

Hanako smiled apologetically. "I'm off to a meeting! Talk after school?"

After some thought, she nodded dejectedly.

"Okay."

--------------------------------------------------

Hanako entered the library and took his seat at the table, noting the serious expressions of his fellow colleagues and surprisingly, the presence of No.6. What was the occasion? It had to be important if No. 6 had joined them.