Chapter 25

Circe has missed the Temple

Circe has missed the Temple. All its colors, its shades of brown, and tan, and green. The last of summer's glory has exploded across the grounds, blossoms swaying in the trees that line the gardens to the side of the stone building.

Inside, she lets the feeling of crowds of people wash over her. The comforting murmur of conversation from every direction, the Force energy of all their bodies in one place, the life that flows through the halls, the very stone that her feet are planted on. It soaks through her skin like sunlight, so much warmer than the sterile halls of Phaedris's home. If one could call it that.

Anakin comes up after her, hovering closely behind Circe as though at any minute she could be taken from him. He is calmed by the feeling of her body so close to his, and frightened that he will lose her again.

"We must go speak with the Council," She says, looking up at him.

He nods, pressing his hand to the small of her back and leading her towards the Council Chamber, his fingers desperately clinging to the contact.

"Circe," Obi-Wan says as she walks through the doors, standing from his seat. "You're alright."

She tilts her head and smiles. "Somehow," She laughs.

"We just dispatched another team of Clones to search for you," Plo-Koon says. "Yet you're back on your own. Exceeding our expectations, as always." He smiles.

"No, I wouldn't have made it alone. Anakin found me before I had the chance to escape." She looks at him fondly. "Always there right when I need him."

Yoda nods. "Found her quickly, you did, young Skywalker. Locate her, how did you?"

Anakin swallows nervously, remembering Palpatine's words.

"There are things the Jedi won't allow you to learn yet. Can I trust you to keep this between us?"

"I— I don't know," He lies, putting all his energy into keeping his face and emotions neutral. Lying through his teeth in front of the entire Council is a bold move, even for him.

"You don't know?" Mace Windu questions, his brow cocked suspiciously.

He shakes his head. "I just knew she was there. I could feel it."

"Where did you find her?"

"Beyond the Outer Rim, Master. West of the Outer Core."

"And you just felt that she was there? Across that distance?"

Anakin nods. "Yes."

The Council members share a look amongst themselves, and Anakin holds his breath.

Circe gives them a confused smile. "Why does it matter? We have more important things to discuss right now. There is a Sith boy, working for someone of high power in the Separatist movement. I think he could be of use."