Chapter One

~Prologue~

 I had never really been visible- ever. I was quiet at home, since I was an only child living with a single parent; my dad, Joshua Wilde. I never knew my mom, because she left a couple weeks after I was born. My dad got tears in his eyes whenever I used to ask about her, so I didn't mention her much. All I know is that she was forced to leave and my dad won't tell me why.

 Anyway, I was a ghost in the hallways of Northside High School in New York, New York, where I was a freshman. I had my fair share of friends, yes, but I was never really...noticed. I had been really quiet, usually. I was ADHD and dyslexic, and I didn't like to advertise it. I didn't like reading in front of the class because the words just jumbled themselves up and-ugh! What a nightmare!

  My friends accepted this about me, though they didn't advertise it either. There was this one friend I had that seemed particularly interested in my dyslexia and Hyper Active/Attention Deficit disorder. Her name was Cassidy. She was in a wheel chair, and she was proud of it. She was out of gym for good, and liked to brag about it to me every time I came out of the locker room sweating like a pig. Though people didn't make a habit of it, whenever I would get teased for not being able to read or sit still for even a second, Cassie would get really protective of me. She once even told me, "I'm here to protect you, VI." At the time, I thought it was just one of those pledges a real true friend makes to you, because, honestly, I didn't see how Cassie would defend me, except with her words.

  How incredibly wrong I was about her, about me, about....everything.

CHAPTER ONE

    It was a bright, sunny, completely normal day at Northside High in New York, New York. For me, everything was completely ordinary, nothing the least bit unusual. Cassie held my books in her lap while I wheeled her down the long hallway on our way to French class. I had always had a knack for French, ever since I started it four years ago in the 5th grade. How time seemed to pass by....It was one of my best subjects. Well, French and Ancient History. Right now, we were focused on the Greek and Roman gods. There was something about the history behind them that just....drew me in. It was so...fascinating.

 Anyway, so I was wheeling Cassie down the hall. She was cracking horrible jokes, trying to make me smile at at least one of them. I smiled alright, but only because they were so bad.

 As we entered Madam Shavel's room, she asked me, "What nationality are you when you're in a hurry?" I rolled my eyes and asked, "I don't know, what?"

"A Russian!" Cassie slapped her knee and went crazy with laughter. I wheeled her into her spot and took my books off her lap.

 "Nice one, Cass," I said sarcastically, though I threw a laugh in there, just to make her feel good. She smiled at me as I sat down across the aisle from her.

 Madam Sheval entered the room at that point. She was a young woman of about 27, with dark blonde hair and green eyes. She had black glasses and always dressed SUPER conservatively. She had a permanent smile, unless you misbehaved in her class. She would occasionally make jokes and give out candy shaped like escargot, but tasted like watermelon. She was my favorite teacher in the whole school, but she knew I had dyslexia and didn't make me read in class. She worked with me on the side at my own pace.

 I LOVED her.

 "Bonjour, étudiants, bienvenue dans la classe française. S'il vous plaît sortez vos classeurs." I understood every word she said, though, out of the corner of my eye, I could see some of my classmates looking around in confusion. I took out my binder, like Madam Sheval had said and opened it up. I began to wait for everyone to get what she wanted, and, in my boredom, I started playing with the beaded bracelet around my wrist.