Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

This scene was vaguely familiar to me.

 I was running, the wind blowing through my hair, no destination in mind. I just needed to get away. Those boys would be the death of me, if not each other. At least now I had a better idea of whatever had caused them to hate each other. From what I could gather, Luke thought Dominic had killed someone who was his friend or part of his family, but Dominic claimed that his death was all Luke’s fault. And I guess that they hated each other for thinking the other killed the boy. Luke had started to say a name…b-r-a-…?

Brandon.

Brandon was the name I’d heard before, back before I’d left for the quest. But what did he have to do with Camellia? And was he friend or family to Luke? How had he really died? Was there a person I could ask that knew the real answer and wouldn't give me a biased answer or start spewing hate?

Camellia.

 Did I really want to ask her? I didn't know. All I knew was that I wanted to know. I knew that it was none of my business before, but now it was getting in the way of my relationships with two of my favorite people, making me hate them; and each hate the other even more. I knew it would probably hurt Cam to talk about it—if she even did talk about it—and that she may not want to be around me so much after making her talk about something so painful. But I had to try, right? So I went running straight for the cabins. My feet pounded on the ground, my breaths coming out loud and even. As I passed, people stared or did double takes. I guess word hadn't gotten out yet that Percy Jackson and Co. was back.

 I found myself outside Demeter cabin in almost no time. Two people sat in the swing that hung on the wooden porch, which was completely surrounded with every different type of flower you could think of. The bamboo stick door hung open, letting me see inside. However, I didn't look inside. I was focusing on the two people seated on the swing.

 They hadn't noticed me yet. They were sitting face to face, completely concentrated on each other, apparently deep in conversation, from the looks of their facial expressions. Both were girls. One had long, flowing, golden blond hair that was brown at the roots. Her back was to me. The other had brown hair like the color of soil, the same length as her friend. Her matching brown eyes were glued to the girl opposite her, while her fingers played with the skirt of her flowered dress—until her eyes flitted quickly over to me.

 They darted quickly away again, disregarding me, before they flew back.  Her eyes widened and she sat straight up in her seat, sucking in a breath as a smile found its way onto her tanned face. "Violet!" she cried, shooting from the swing, down the steps, and over to me; only to throw her arms around me in a tight embrace before Jaime could fully turn around.

 Over Camellia's shoulder, I could see her jewel blue eyes grow, the look on her face going from serious and confused to relaxed. She got up and came down the steps a little slower than Cam, waiting for her to let go.

 I hugged Cam tightly, before letting go of her. She was taller than I remembered, whereas the last time I saw her, the top of her head barely brushed my chin. Now, her hair tickled my nose. She must've grown in my absence. She pulled away from me, yet still held one of my hands in both of hers.

"We've missed you, Violet," she said in her usual, dreamy tone. Her eyes sparkled and her smile never wavered. It was impossible not to love Camellia. I felt like she was my little sister. It pained me to think that I might just make that smile vanish in a few minutes. I smiled at her and Jaime, who stood closely behind Cam like a guard, arms crossed and almost unsmiling.

"I've missed you, too," I said, reaching a hand out for Jaime in a sign of friendship.

 Jaime stayed where she was, hesitation glittering throughout her cold blue eyes. I was worried for a second. Would she take my hand? Was she mad at me for something? What had caused her to be mad? But she took my hand after a moment and, after Camellia let go, she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me just as tightly. This was so unlike the calm, cool, reserved Jaime I had come to know.  I felt my eyes widen to the size of quarters, my hands hanging loose at my sides until they finally reached up and hugged my friend back.