Chapter 4

Kim Taehyung has been promoted to being your friend. That's a big accomplishment, given that you never planned to talk him unless necessary, and you don't call someone a friend if you're not really comfortable with them. Though he's naturally silent and careful, he can also tease your childish choices. It's not hard to get along with.

"So you've met the Jung's before since their son is your friend?" you ask him as you enter the ballroom with arms linked to each other.

He looks dashing with his suit and tie, and you can only wish the expensive dress and hours you spend getting pretty helped you at least.

"Although they are a bit traditional, I think they're one of the most loving families out there. You know how they are against arranged marriages, right?"

You nod.

"They also don't like pretentious people so I suggest you just relax and act the wat you want to act around me. They know we're only arranged and forcing to show affection will just turn them off."

There goes your plan to be cheesy to your husband, but hey, you're not complaining. You'd rather be just natural too.

You enter the party and immediately find the hosts. You walk to them with a smile, Taehyung hand on the small of your back and making comforting patterns.

"Oh, Tae!" the son Hoseok, greets your husband.

"Hoseok hyung," Mark acknowledges. His parents turn to your direction too so you and Taehyung boy to them. "I would like you all to meet my wife."

The three give you friendly handshakes. You hope they don't feel your shivers.

"Tae, the boy are there. Want to greet them?"
Hoseok asks, a silent message seemingly passing to them.

Taehyung looks at you too. You understand that they're giving you the chance to make an impression to the old couple.

"GI ahead, Tae. I'll stay here for a while," you tell your husband.

He gives your arm a squeeze before walking away with Hoseok.

"I'm glad your marriage seems to be working well," the woman say with a smile, though you can sense her reluctance.

You remember Taehyung word. They know that you're just arranged and will appreciate  honesty. "He's not hard to get along with. I'm sure we can understand each other more as we spend time together.

Mrs. Jung nods. At least you didn't lie about being in love with him. She starts chatting about wanting to meet your mother and how your weeding was beautiful. A couple comes to great them soon enough. You know them as a arranged too. And the woman is a direct competitor.

Her husband and Hoseok's father start talking about business. The mother continues to chat with you, with the other lady joining her side.

" Oh Taehyung hasn't really bought anything for me yet," you admit when you're asked for Taehyung weeding gift to you. "But he did pay my bill for me when I was sick and convinced me to go to the hospital since I've been fitting migraines. I'm thankful for that."

Mrs. Jung give you a genuine smile. She's impressed by your answer.

"Oh, my husband bought this for me," the other lady starts bragging about her diamong necklace. "I love it so much. I can only imagine how much rgus cost!" You see Mrs. Jung nods in acknowledgement. The other lady shoots you a challenging looks. "Darling, you should ask your husband for something you can wear on special occasions like this. That way, everyone can see how much he loves you.

"Darling, what's to be proud of? Money is the cheapest form of love."

Everyone who hears you stops to stare. But you don't back down, especially with Mrs. Jung's eyes gleaming in delight.

"I know you must be proud that your husband spend for you, but I do believe that it's on the little things. Taehyung can buy me an island, but what's the use of it if he won't come with me there to enjoy it? I'd rather just dress plainly and have him on my arms, than have diamonds on my neck while he's drowning himself in acoh so he won't recognise me later at night.

She can't even hide the shame on her face. Mrs. Jung seems to be shocked at your words too,  but in a good way.

You feel an arm snake on your hips. You immediately relax at his familiar presence.

" Why are you trying to fight someone, hm?"
Taehyung whispers on your ear, making you smile a bit. He learned about your highschool catfights.

"Shup up. She deserves it. I told you we were classmates in college and she bribed all my friend so they won't hang out with me," you lean to whisper back.

"Don't worry, she's won't be able to buy your newest friend," he says and unexpectedly grazes his lips on the side of your head.

You find yourself smiling wider though. The gesture was sweet and a bit teasing.

The lady got out of your shivers sight while you're busy, and Mrs. Jung is back to greeting their guests. She turns to you once though, giving you a nod.

"Does that mean I will hear from them soon?" you ask your husband.

"Maybe. WS can pull some strings if they don't call you within the week."

You roll you eyes. "Mr. Congeniality."

He grin's. "But I believe you did make a good impression. That bit about money being cheapest. Genius."

You playfully hit his arm. He fakes his hurt but even though you're aware he's just acting, you pat the spot and say sorry. He takes the hand touching him and intertwines it with his.
"Why don't we dance, wife? Let's celebrate your upcoming big project.

You huff. "It's not like I have a choice, husband. You already dragging me to the dancefloor."

You find a spot and Taehyung positions the two of you. You sway to the music with some thoughts in mind. Being arranged isn't so bad if you're willing to make it work. Yes, he will demand some of your time from work, but it's so he can bond with you and take you from stress.

His family can be too much since you didn't have the chance to get to know them before, but if he's there to guide you, you'll learn their names in no time. His friends can be the most annoying bunch, but they don't have to be your friends too. They have been there for him before you, so you just need to accept them.

And almost of all, you need to be open. You need to let him in. He could be doing his best but you would never notice it unless you try to understand. It's not wrong to start slow; what matters is that you did. And what could be the best way to get to know the one you will spend the rest of your life with, if doesn't start with friendship?