Episode 4

With Malcolm?

I must’ve been dreaming. Did she just say my new job would be full-time with Malcolm?

All my life I’d waited for this opportunity, and here it came. My Ken was finally mine.

That didn’t make sense, did it? Let me explain.

I was five when I received my first Barbie. I played with her all the time. Took her out on rides in her pink car. Held parties with her and my other rag dolls in her beautiful house. Barbie was kind, because she allowed everyone into her place. A far cry from the people of West Haven. You flocked to your own herd here, and one never strayed.

Well, Barbie was my princess, but after a while, I thought something was lacking. When I told my mother, she laughed, and bought the Ken doll a few days later. Finally, Barbie was fine. She had someone who looked after her, opened her car door. Someone who loved and cherished her.

I would look at Mom and Dad and think they were like Barbie and Ken, too. Until the day Dad crossed the threshold and never came back… Mom came to my bedroom and she sat on the floor with me while I played with my dolls. I remember she sighed, and then she said, while looking at Barbie and Ken, “At least this couple won’t break up. Ken will always love Barbie.”

I know it sounds silly now, but for a six-year-old, these words meant a lot. To this day, I cannot help but think that Ken really wouldn’t ever leave Barbie. Theirs was an enduring love, and I wanted my Ken, too.

Malcolm embodied this Ken for me…

“I’m not the devil, you know,” a deep, husky voice said in my ear.

Startled out of my thoughts, I jumped away from the table in front of me and bumped smack into a solid warm wall.

Strong hands came up and clasped my shoulders.

“Whoa, careful, girl. No need to be so on edge.”

Oh. My. God.

It was him. I froze, but his firm grip held onto me and he made me turn around to face him.

My breath caught when I looked up into his face. Never had I seen him so close. He smelled of expensive after-shave, but the scent proved light and elusive, not overpowering as if he’d taken a shower in the fragrance. Like Clive.

I gave myself a mental shake. Why was I thinking of Clive now?

“Prudence?”

Oh, the way he said my name. Like a sinful treat rolling off his tongue. My eyes wanted to close in sheer bliss, but I caught a grip on myself.

“Yes,” I answered softly.

Too softly, like a moan.

He watched me, before cocking an eyebrow.

“Do I make you afraid?” he asked oh so gently.

“No,” I quickly replied. You’re simply the devil in disguise.