Prelude - Into Atlas

Doctor Arthur Watts had slaved over the design of his project for weeks now and was finally ready to showcase his progress. All he must do is wait for General Ironwood's approval on the matter and he will be given the green light to do so.

"Watts, what's the status of your project?" Ironwood asked.

"Finished General Ironwood, I have the blueprints and overall design ready to go. I am confident it won't disappoint" Watts reported.

"Thank you, Watts, your Paladins have been proceeding well, hopefully, this new project of yours will be just as successful" Ironwood said.

"I'm sure it will," Watts stated proudly.

The general takes a look at the enclosed files and it reads, "Project: V". It piques his interest as he peers into it and sees the vast difference between this project and the doctor's others. Ironwood withdraws a file from the folder labeled, "V1" which shows the blueprint of a humanoid robot that forgoes the usage of dust for power in favor of using substances related to Grimm. He closes the documents and blueprints to continue his evaluation of the other scientists' projects.

Ironwood inspected the files further whilst asking Watts about it. "You certainly have something interesting here, doctor. I've never seen anything quite like this before."

Watts was slightly surprised at Ironwood's interest. "Oh yes, I was planning on designing something more experimental this time around instead of something more streamlined. Without thinking outside the box at times, we begin to lose sight of our ingenuity and creativity."

"That's what makes the kingdom of Atlas great though. All of that aside, there will be a gathering once all the projects are submitted. It will be organized once they're completed so be sure to arrive there. Have a good day" Ironwood said.

Later in the month, Ironwood organized a conference to announce which project would be cleared for production.

Ironwood began to address the group. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have gathered all of you here today to announce which projects that you've all toiled over are going to be approved. I'm thrilled to say that the P.E.N.N.Y. Project by Dr. Pietro Polendina, is approved for creation."

The room erupted with applause as Polendina's unique project was cleared for creation. Despite the joyous occasion, however, Watts was thoroughly in denial that his project wasn't approved by General Ironwood. Angered by the decision, he took the matter into his own hands and secretly worked on the project in his private workshop in Mantle.

"And, done!" Watts remarked as he completed his work.

He put the finishing touches on V1 and with it his most powerful creation was born. The robot possessed a humanoid body with metal wing-like boosters and loaded with powerful armaments meant for pure Grimm destruction.

The doctor gave V1 artificial intelligence that allowed the machine full sentience and the capability of key decision-making to help civilians that are in danger during Grimm invasions or other miscellaneous uses.

Watts let the robot loose in the tundra and watched as it unleashed death upon the Grimm with grace and speed never seen before by any machine. It showed exceptional skill throughout the tundra, using advanced movement and expert marksmanship to get the better of its opponents. V1's ability to regenerate through Grimm mist and ooze worked to repair the few damages that the machine took.

Watt's test run achieved all the results that he wanted although there were a pair of prying eyes seeing V1 through a hidden camera. Watts, blinded by his fervor to create that which was denied to him, failed to realize his machine being observed.