The Popularity Debt

THIS EXCERPT IS A TEASER ONLY.
This book is no longer available to read on Wattpad. Sorry!!

It starts with a glass bottle splintering.

We all hear her scream.

Outside, the pink pool lights plunge to darkness, creating black mirrors of the floor-to-ceiling windows. I lock eyes with Bentley's reflection right before the music kicks in.

"What the hell was that?" he shouts, our speakers playing so loud I can't even hear him above the jumbled vibration. It bangs inside my head, pulses my eardrums so hard I have to read his lips through squinched eyes.

Sounds like she chose Thriller.

Bentley jumps up from his seat on the sofa.

"It was probably just a cat," I say, dismissive, but people are starting to filter toward the windows now, hands in their ears, craning to get a glimpse of whatever's in the back yard. Someone else rattles the French doors.

The French doors we nailed shut.

Another scream, but this time, it's from one of the girls we invited. She lurches forward three steps as a friend grabs her waist from behind and spooks her like this is all part of the fun. Her solo cup drops in a splat of pink punch all over the white marble, stains the leg of her friend's blue pantsuit. Fucking pantsuit. Who the hell do these people think they are?

Bentley grips my wrist and yanks me to my feet. "Where's Ingrid?" he yells into my face.

"Don't know," I lie, shrugging instead when he doesn't hear.

"The plug?" he shouts next, pointing up at the speakers.

"I'll get it," I lie again—as if I don't know we're about to lose power in five...four...

The lights above dim to a flicker.

...three...

The speakers cut with a deafening pop.

...two...

The TV flashes static.

...one.

The room falls to black, and outside, the pink pool lights up again.

This time, when Ingrid appears, it's our turn to scream.

"THE POPULARITY DEBT"
Copyright © 2012 Bryony Leah.
All rights reserved.

This book is no longer available to read on Wattpad.