Chapter 2

I stood straight, mouth closed into a thin line as my eyes didn't dare to land on the person on my right side. I tried focusing more on the two females that stood opposite us. After the ruckus that happened awhile back in the room, we we're brought in a wide kitchen. Knowing that a Nakiri is right in front of me with a look that somewhat made me nervous to the bone. Is this how Nakiris intimidate people? Looking at how fierce the Nakiris can be, I had the urge to bite my lips out of nervousness. I do not know if it's an honor to be stared up by the Nakiri Erina as she seems like she was scanning me up and down while finally raising one of her eyebrows towards me. For some good seconds, I almost forgot about the male beside me as Nakiri Erina spoke.

"What's with the distance?" She asked as she frowned, not breaking her stare towards my figure.

I felt my eyes widened for a mere second as my sight fell down on the marble floor below. I can feel all eyes on me as I started to sink with the attention they're giving me. I did said to myself I'd try my best but I didn't said I will do my best.

"I-It's...." I stuttered while my voice started fading down. It took me by surprise when all three of them lent their ears nearer so they could hear what I was saying. Embarrassed, I felt my cheeks heat up. I continued what I was saying but this time, adjusting my voice. "It's nothing..." avoiding eye contact, I shifted awkwardly as I reduced the distance between myself and the male. Not too close, not too far. Averting my eyes back to the two females who we're blinking in confusion.

I stayed loyal to just having my attention on the two female students until I felt the male's stare. Pretending to have my attention away from him, I just stared ahead. But he giggled. I could see his shaking shoulders from my peripheral vision. I tensed up. Is he making fun of me? Did I really make a fool out of myself? What wrong did I do?

"You might be intimidating her, 'ya know." I jumped on my spot as the male beside me spoke.

"What do you mean by that?" Nakiri Erina replied as her expression change into a glare, clearly not happy by what he said. This time, it was my turn to blink rapidly. The purple haired girl was not impressed either as she glared towards the male. I asked myself as to why would he state that so easily, especially to the Nakiri Erina. I dared to avert my stare towards the person beside me. A brief look wouldn't hurt just to see what his face is wearing right now.

I took in the sight with the features of his face. He had a red hair which was already something anyone would notice. It was just merely seconds when his bright yellow eyes met my (e/c) ones. I widened my eyes and as quickly as I could, I stared back at the two Totsuki students who we're still glaring at him.

What I didn't saw was how he smiled when he saw my curious gaze towards him.

**********

It was time for me to present my own dish with egg as the main ingredient. Thinking back to how Nakiri Erina was almost ready to leave out of the exam as to what she thought that the red head was playing games with her with what he made. It's like her palate doesn't allow ordinary meal nor dishes be placed on her famous God's Tongue. Looking down on my dish, I swallowed the lump in my throat. But it seems that the red head's dish somehow made Nakiri Erina spoon twice which was somewhat shocking. Shyly staring at the red head, I wondered if he's not like other-

"What...What is that? A bread?" I snapped back into reality as I was met with Nakiri Erina's unimpressed look towards my dish. Lifting up her head to look at me, she frowned. "I do wish you are not playing with me."

"W-What? I....I am not..." For the umpteenth time, I sink on my spot. My voice fading out as I did my best speaking louder. Nakiri Erina's look seemed like she was hoping I would say something more, so I did what she hoped. "Um, I diced the boiled eggs and mixed into the mayonnaise that I made. I filled the fried bread with the egg filling then coated the bread with bread crumbs..". I explained as simple as it is.

The purple haired student deadpanned at how basic the dish I made. I blushed at her reaction, embarrassed for who knows how many times. Nakiri Erina's jaw dropped as it turned into disappointment.

"That's beautiful!"

I jumped at the sudden hype of the none other than, the red head male.

"Hey, it's perfectly got that golden fried color. Looks tasty!" The red head leaned down to the level of my dish while his hands rested on his hips, eyes sparkling like a child when they caught sight of a toy they want.

I looked at him with widened eyes, still processing what he said.

A boy just complimented my dish.

It was no doubt, enough to make my cheeks go red in a mere second. I didn't had a boy that stared at my dish like he did nor compliment it enthusiastically. Either way, I wouldn't probably know what people really think about my dishes since me and my family do own a diner.

"Can I try as well? Wouldn't want that to go to waste now, right examiner Nakiri?" He lifted up his head as he raised one eyebrow towards the Nakiri. Nakiri Erina had a hardened stare as she folded her arms in front of her.

"Fine. It is just fair I judge her dish instead of just yours."

The red head smirked. My eyes stayed on him as I calmed down with what he did. Not long enough, I once again saw his bright yellow ones staring down at me with a grin on his face.

What?

Quickly, I turned away of course. But what did not went away was the heat on my cheeks, followed by unstable heartbeats.

I thought I said I would face my fears, but instead a new challenge itself appeared.

**********

///\\\

-Third Person POV-

\\\///

The Nakiri stared at the female. (h/l) (h/c) locks and (e/c) orbs. Erina thought she was someone from a rich family as she took in the properly iron all-girls' school uniform she wore. Looking through her paper, her family has a diner as well as a bakery. But knowing she was the same as the male student having a small diner just from a neighborhood, disappointed her. She's not going lie, she hoped she would be someone that would satisfy her palate. Her guts made her feel like it.

Once she saw the girl's dish, she felt like she let her down. Bread and mayonnaise egg? What we're she thinking? Only then that the red head pointed out the golden-like bread made her lit up secretly. It's not common that you would see a bread perfectly fried with crumbs that almost seem to shine. Erina was taken aback.

She once again surveyed her figure when she finally lifted the spoon up to her mouth, savoring the creaminess of the filling.

But it is what it is, she still failed both of them.

**********

Author's Note:

The food was just something I came up with, not really sure how it works so I guess this is not legit XD. I'm no chef and definitely do not know how to cook but screw the food, you know why you're here owo

-mika