URBAN LEGEND

Memory blurs, that's the point.

If memory didn't blur, you wouldn't have the fool's courage to do things again, again, again, that tear you apart.

WE WERE THE MULVANEYS, JOYCE C. OATES

Urban Legend.

TO SAY CLAIRE HARDING was an asshole would be the understatement of the year. She was bossy and mean and she hated being told what to do which obviously wasn't earning her any friends, but she was fine with that, after all, she hated most people except Jim Novak. Sure, he wasn't the brightest boy in Hawkins but he had a heart of gold and a sick addiction to arcade games which Claire shared.

     However, during the year of 1983, Jim's innocent addiction to video games took a violent turn when a new game by the name of Polybius was installed in the arcade. He began to play it constantly, often times skipping school just to beat the next level. But perhaps the most peculiar part of the whole ordeal were the side affects which came with playing the game.

      After a few weeks of playing the game, Jim began to hallucinate a world similar to his own but much darker. He was visited by men in black in his dreams — or what felt like dreams — and he told all of it to his best friend, Claire Harding.

      Now, Claire Harding wasn't one for conspiracy theories or the make believe, so she didn't believe Jim when he told her Polybius was more than just a game. However, maybe she should have listened because a few days later, Jim Novak disappeared along with all evidence of the game Polybius ever existing.