Chapter 3: Whistles and Sneezes

One morning in the sheds, Gordon was cross.

GORDON: Why should Henry have a new shape? A shape good enough for me is good enough for him. He goes gallivanting off, leaving us to do his work, and comes back saying how happy he feels. It's disgraceful. And there's another thing: Henry whistles too much. No respectable engine ever whistles loudly at stations. It isn't wrong, but we just don't do it.

EDWARD: Come now, Gordon; there's no need to be so rude to Henry.

GORDON: All the same, little Edward. I should be the first engine to have a rebuild.

Poor Henry didn't feel happy anymore.

PERCY: Never mind. I'm glad you're home again. I like your whistling.

EDWARD: Same here, I like your new shape, Henry. 

That made Henry feel a little better.

GORDON: Goodbye, Henry. We're glad to have you with us again. But remember what I said.

Later, Henry stopped at Edward's station.

EDWARD: Hello, Henry. You look splendid. I was pleased to hear your happy whistle yesterday.

HENRY: Thanks, Edward.

(We hear a screeching noise)

HENRY: Shh, shh. Can you hear something?

EDWARD: It sounds like Gordon.  And it ought to be Gordon. But Gordon never whistles like that.

It was Gordon. He came rushing down the hill of a tremendous rate. He didn't look at Henry and he didn't look at Edward. He screamed straight through the station and disappeared!

Edward: Well.

Henry: It isn't wrong. we just don't do it.

And he told Edward what Gordon had said. 

Meanwhile, Gordon screeched along the line. The noise was awful. At the station, everyone covered their ears. Sir Topham Hatt covered his ears too.

SIR TOPHAM HATT: Take him away! And stop that noise!

Gordon puffed sadly away. But he wouldn't stop whistling until two fitters climbed up and knocked his whistle valve in place.

(Two fitters fix Gordon's whistle with progress)

That night, Gordon slunked into the shed. He was glad it was empty.

HENRY: It isn't wrong. But we just don't do it.

No one mentioned whistles.

 Next morning, Henry was enjoying himself enormously.

HENRY: I feel so well, I feel so well.

COACHES: Trickety-trock, trickety-trock.

Then he saw some boys on a bridge.

HENRY: Peep-peep. Hello.

(The boys smash the coaches' windows with stones)

HENRY: Ohh. STOP!!!!!

The boys didn't wave and take his number. They thought it fun to drop stones on him instead.

COACHES: They've broken our glass, they've broken our glass.

Luckily, the passengers weren't hurt, but they were cross.

PASSENGERS: Call the police!

HENRY'S DRIVER: No. Leave it to Henry and me.

PASSENGERS: What will you do?  Can you keep a secret?

HENRY: Yes, yes.

HENRY'S DRIVER: Well then. Henry is going to sneeze at those boys.

Lots of people were at the station just before the bridge. They wanted to see what would happen.

HENRY'S DRIVER: Henry has plenty of ashes. Please keep all windows shut until we have passed the bridge. Henry is as excited as we are. Aren't you, old fellow?

Henry felt more stuffed up. Soon, they could see the boys. And they all had stones.

HENRY'S DRIVER: Are you ready, Henry? Sneeze hard when I tell you. Now.

HENRY: Ah-choo!

(Henry sneezes at the boys and they were covered in ashes)

HENRY'S DRIVER: Well done, Henry.

Henry went home, hoping that next time he saw Gordon and the boys, they would have learned not to be so mean. He had taught them with a whistle and a sneeze.