CHAPTER 3: The Kingmaker's Mistake?

The polls were coming in, many in the young Governor's favor. Excitement filled the room; the energy was upbeat despite most staff being up since 4am. Mew started to feel the strain of the day take its toll. He rubbed his temples and scanned the room for a quite corner where he could lie down. There was none. It seemed like every nook and cranny in the big room was occupied -by the poll-trackers, caterers, legal team, finance team, security, campaign members, his friends and family. Despite the commotion in the room Mew knew that one person was missing. The man who'd made his campaign a formidable one - one for the books. He had not seen Gulf since a little after lunch. Knowing the young man, he'd probably found a haven -quiet and far from everyone. He chuckled, sneaking out himself.

"It's pretty intense in there" Mild said as Mew came out heaving a sigh of relief.

"Tell me about it! I need a shut-eye before the final results come in" Mew looked at Mild, his eyes pleading for help.

"Second floor, right wing, 3rddoor" Mild gave directions like he'd been expecting this.

"Umm...It's like you were waiting for me to ask?" Mew teased his long-time friend and bodyguard.

"As if! I hid someone in there already. A quiet occupant. You won't know they're there"

"Who?" Mew's instinct said it was probably Gulf but he needed to confirm this.

Mild snickered "Gulf came out earlier he looked drained. It's quiet in the right wing, so I opened one room and hid him there to get some rest. I hope you don't mind. The kid works too hard...I couldn't help myself"

"No, you- you did the right thing. He was up till 2am yesterday and when we all commenced at 4am he was here working. I was worried about him; glad he's getting some rest."

The room was quiet when he walked in. What were you expecting Suppasit? He poked fun at himself for the weird excitement he felt at the thought of being alone with Gulf. He really needs to get over this. Whatever this is. He could end up sabotaging one of the best partnerships he's ever had.

 He could end up sabotaging one of the best partnerships he's ever had

"You're here to get some rest too?"

That tiny, sleepy voice coming from the bed coupled with the flushed face, sleep-swollen lips and glossy brown eyes staring at him were Mew's final straw. Ever since that fateful night dip, Mew had kept his distance. He hadn't trusted himself to be alone with the man, seeing as he was one second from snapping where Gulf was concerned. Gulf had eyed him suspiciously each time he, uncharacteristically, chose to stay away from him. Others had picked up on it too, even inquiring if they'd fought.

"Did you two have a fight?" He'd heard Jeed ask Gulf

"Not that I'm aware of. In any case I'm simply a campaign manager trying to do my job" Gulf flippantly responded before getting back to work.

Gulf didn't want to wallow over the reason Mew was distancing himself. It was probably for the best, but it still made him feel slighted. He, in turn, chose to ignore the Governor, focusing on his work while keeping to himself up until now.