The Sinking

Things were tense in B-52 as the clock struck midnight on Monday, April 15th. Cal was pacing back and forth while Rose watched. Obviously, he was trying to think of a good reprimand for her absence, while Ruth was getting dressed in the next room. The sudden roaring of the ventilating steam, muffled by the walls, increased Cal's fury. After two minutes of silence, Rose spoke.

"Cal, I'm sure you may not notice already, but there are bigger things happening than me and Jack. The ship might sink!"

"Do you think I care?!" roared Cal, marching up to her. "You turned against me! You let your body to be seen by someone other than me!"

A little quieter, he added.

"Before I can even stay in the same room with you, I need to know what was going through your mind when you deliberately disobeyed me and left me for some—some sewer rat!"

Rose looked away, muttering under her teeth.

"The only sewer rat here is you."

But unfortunately for her, Cal heard her insult. He smacked her left cheek hard.

"ROSE!"

He grabbed her hands, shaking her violently.

"I don't know what to tell you, Cal. I don't think you even deserve to know! But I can tell you one thing, Jack would never steal anything of value even if he was poorer than you."

"You make it sound like our positions were switched," Cal smiled in a sadistically evil way. "And even if he is innocent, where will you find your proof?"

Before Rose could think, there was a knock on the door.

"Mr. Hockley, Miss DeWitt Bukater?"

It was Kirkaldy.

"Get out! We're busy."

"Mr. Hockley, I didn't exactly mean to intrude, but-"

Cal was quick to cut him off.

"I said: Not. Now."

"But, sir, it's Captain's orders," Kirkaldy stated firmly. "You and the young lady may want to dress warmly. It's very cold out there."

"What exactly is going on?" Cal was now exasperated.

"The Captain wants us to come up to the Boat Deck and bring lifejackets."

Cal turned to Rose, who gave a triumphant smile.

"Looks like I was right after all."

But Cal just sighed.

"This is just ridiculous."

He stormed out onto the private promenade for a whiff of fresh air, hoping to clear his mind, leaving Rose alone with Kirkaldy.

"I'm sure it's just a precaution, Miss. No need to worry."

Rose, who was sitting in the chair by the table, gave a sad sigh. Kirkaldy tried to sympathize with her.

"Is there something you'd like to say?"

"There is plenty I would like to say," said Rose. "but I don't wish to start a panic."

Meanwhile, the rest of Titanic's passengers were starting to become aware that all was not well.

"I got dressed and went up on the deck where I found several people, for the most part men who were going and coming," said Marie Jerwan in a letter to her sister, "and again an officer told me: 'That there was no danger, that one could go back to bed'. Instead of that, I went up on the deck and went all the way to the front, where I saw sailors getting into boats at the top of the deck. From that time I was certain of our hazardous position. For a minute, I felt faint, but soon, I regained my composure."