xx

Maybe it's Zain's imagination, but the cottage seems to be surrounded by more flowers now, flowers blooming despite it being late summer, the ivy green and plush, almost seeming to swallow the house whole.

Like always, when Zain enters the house now, it is warm and welcoming, and smelling faintly of potions bubbling on the stove and above the fire.

"Hey, Louis," he greets the cat who looks at him but doesn't move from his spot in the middle of the hallway. Zain steps over him carefully, almost stumbling over Niall who comes rushing at his feet, attacking them.

"Finally," Harry says, without looking up. "You said you'd be here for dinner."

"I am," Zain says, catching Harry around the waist and kissing him.

"Debatable," Harry says, pushing Zain towards the table. "Sit. I am starving."

"You could have started without me," Zain says, catching Harry's hand and pressing a kiss to it. He loves Harry's new ring, the one that had made an appearance last week and Harry hasn't taken off since. "I'm sorry, Mum came home late and you know she's been trying. She says hi."

"Does she?" Harry beams, stroking his thumb over Zain's cheek. "Thank you, darling," he says, settling into the seat across from Zain and starting to eat right away.

"Don't I get fed today?" Zain tries, hooking his feet around Harry's beneath the table.

"You were late," Harry says, shaking his head with a smirk. "But you can make it up to me later," he grins.

"Looking forward to it," Zain smirks back, trailing his foot up Harry's shin. Harry laughs, his eyes sparkling with happiness and mischief.

They stumble up the stairs and into Harry's bed as soon as their dinner is halfway gone, Niall batting at their legs until they close the door in front of his face.

Harry laughs, pulling his clothes off hazardously while Zain just watches the ling lines of his body appear, watches the light of the setting sun play golden across his skin.

"Come," Harry grins at him, beckoning. He sighs when Zain presses him to the mattress, cupping his face. "My darling," he smiles, stroking the corners of his eyes with his thumbs.

"My witch," Zain says, kissing Harry's forehead and nose and the dimples in his cheek.

"Why are you wearing that ring now?" Zain asks idly, when the glint of it catches his eye. He strokes his hands over Harry's skin and catching his hand, holding it up to the light.

"Because you want me to," Harry yawns, rubbing his nose against Zain's ribs and kissing his skin, his knees falling open.

"I don't," Zain says, frowning, stoking his hands over Harry's skin. "I mean, I do, it's nice, but I don't remember it at all. It can't have been me."

"No, it was," Harry says, sitting up and turning Zain onto his back, straddling him. He leans down to kiss him, his eyes crinkling softly. "You long for it in our dreams, for me to wear your ring. It manifested," he smiles, looking down at his ring where it sits on his hand, bracing himself on Zain's shoulders.

"It's really solid, too," he adds, still smiling happily as he starts rocking his hips.. "You must have been desperate for it."

"What?" Zain asks.

Sometimes Harry still said things that made no sense. He always said them like he expected Zain to already know the answer, causal and not explaining until Zain had asked all the right questions, frowning at Zain in confusion the whole time, like Zain was asking him what colour the sky was.

Harry shrugs, licking his lips, his eyes fluttering close as he rocks down against Zain.

"Darling," Zain says, taking him by the hips to hold him still. "What does that mean? It manifested?"

"Just," Harry shrugs, slightly breathless and very distracted, arching his back. "In dreams, sometimes the things come over to life if you want them bad enough."

"What?" Zain says, a bit alarmed. "Anything?"

"Hm?" Harry makes, before he realises that Zain's properly spooked and still. He leans down, kissing Zain soothingly.

"Not anything, darling. It's just in shared dreams. Like the combined force of will. It helps it along. And not everything. Just. Some things," he frowns.

"That's vague," Zain sighs.

Harry shrugs, stroking his thumb over Zain's cheek. "Magic," he whispers and Zain has to snort.

"So you want the ring?" he asks a bit awed, kissing Harry's chin. It made sense now perhaps, his fascination with it. The longing and satisfaction he felt when he looks at it.

"Darling," Harry laughs, kissing Zain's nose. "Of course I want the ring."

He smiles. "I want you to be mine forever."

"It's a good thing I want that as well, then, isn't it?" Zain asks, cupping Harry's cheeks and stroking his soft skin.

"Yes," Harry nods, his eyes sparkling as he looks down at him. "You're so full of love," he says, leaning down, hovering above Zain with his lips almost touching Zain, but not quite, his breath washing over Zain's lips. "You shine with it. I wanted you from the moment I first saw you."

"You glow," Zain answers a bit dumbly. He still feels struck dumb by Harry most of the times, the way he seems to illuminate every room he enters. He lays his hands on Harry's thighs, stroking his skin. He should be used to it by now. But he isn't, not the slightest bit. "I can't look away from you."

"Good," Harry smiles, pressing his lips gently to the corner of Zain's mouth. "I never want you to. You're mine. Forever."

"I am," Zain agrees, turning his head to catch Harry's lips in a proper kiss, holding him close. Everything about Harry was warm and soft and inviting, Zain's fingertips tingling where he touches him.

"I love you," Harry whispers against his lips, starting to move again, his hands sliding down Zain's skin.

"I love you," Zain answers and watches Harry move above him, his hair falling into his eyes and bathed in the golden light of the setting sun, smiling down at Zain like he's won the world.

🌿

the end

thank you for reading. one epilogue to go!