Section Three, Chapter 50

Delphini had finished packing. She looked around the bare, large room and sighed wistfully.

"I know how you feel." Corvus said. And he did. He had learned to like Hogwarts, at least to some extent, and was sad to be gone for two months. If McGonagall let him come back at all.

After the loud-yet-uneventful leaving feast, Corvus and Delphi made their way slowly to Hogsmeade Station, got on and sat in the back, with Colleen and another couple Slytherin year mates. They lapsed into comfortable conversation, and Corvus looked out the window at the passing trees and hills, hoping that next year, maybe he would be able to see it all again. Yes, he had gotten good marks, but that didn't mean he would be untouchable. After a life of disappointment, it was hard to have a good outlook on anything.

Corvus eventually got dressed, so when the train arrived at Kings Cross, he was wearing his boring muggle clothes; a red T-shirt and baggy blue jeans.

The twins exited the platform, getting met by the matron on the other side. "Did you get good marks?" The woman asked as they were led to the closest bus stop.

"Yes, Matron." They both chorused, albeit glumly.

"Did you make any friends?" She asked in a business-like manner.

"Sort of." Delphi admitted.

"What does that mean, 'sort of'? Did you or not?"

"Well," Corvus said, trying to keep his voice in check, "Our parents weren't exactly liked in the wizarding world. So a lot of kids stayed away from us."

"We did make one friend, though," Delphi said thoughtfully, "Colleen McLaggen."

When Delphi and Corvus returned, the only person happy about their arrival was, dutifully, Charlie Dix, who was grinning ear-to-ear.

"Hiya, guys!" He said, pulling both into a three-way hug. "How was the rest of term?"

"Better then the first half." Corvus said with a smile.

The first month of the summer passed uneventfully, at least for the twins. They hung around with Charlie, turned into wolves at night and roamed a bit (careful not to on the full moon, just in case), and received nothing from their classmates, as expected. They were not to know of the plans that many of their acquaintances were executing...

It was August 1st when Matron came into Corvus's room and woke him (and inadvertently Charlie) up, extra early. 

"What..?" He groaned, rolling over off his back and sitting up blearily.

"Don't speak to me like that," Matron snapped. "Your sister's already up."

"What's going on?" Charlie asked. 

"Get up, Corvus!" Matron snapped. "And pack your things. All of them."

"What the-" Corvus exclaimed. "Why?" Oh, Merlin. They were going to send him to a facility or something. Fuck fuck fuck.

"You're getting adopted, so quit sulking."

With that she was gone.

Corvus gaped. Charlie grinned. "You're getting adopted?"

"Why- what-" Corvus stammered, absolutely flabbergasted. "Who would want me?"

"Who indeed." Charlie agreed. 

"Holy shit! What if I'm separated from my sister?"

Charlie adopted the same troubled expression. "I... If she isn't with you, which I think she will be, I'll make sure to watch out for her."

"That's not what I'm worried about..." Corvus muttered darkly. 

"Do you think a wizard adopted you?" Charlie asked. He had known for quite some time what Corvus and Delphi were, and was sworn to secrecy.

Corvus sucked in a breath. 'What ifs' ran through his head like a rushing river. "Fuck." Was all he managed to say.

About fifteen minutes later saw Corvus and Delphi, dressed better then usual in an effort made by the Matron to impress, sitting out in the lobby. Corvus bounced his knee nervously and clenched and unclenched his fists. By then, he was nearly sure that he and Delphi would be going to a wizarding family, and Merlin knows what would be awaiting them there.

"Yes, yes," Came the matron's disembodied voice from the corridor. "They're right in there."

She stepped into the room, with two men and a dog behind her.

"Corvus and Delphini, this is your adoptive parent, Harry Potter, and his friend, Draco Malfoy, who I believe to be your cousin."

Corvus and Delphi gaped. They were getting adopted, and by Potter and Malfoy, no less? This had to be a joke. But it was so real. Even the dog at Harry's side looked and smelled like the one he'd played with.

Delphini put her hands to her mouth, her eyes filling with tears that she quickly blinked away.

"Hey," Harry said, waving his right hand. "Let's get you out of here."

Corvus didn't even stop to think if they'd let a nineteen-year-old adopt a fifteen-year-old. He didn't care. He got up, followed by Delphi, and silently followed the two men.

"How?" Corvus stammered when they'd finally gotten out of the building. "Why?"

"You didn't deserve my childhood, Corvus." Harry said quietly. "We'll talk more when we're not in, um, mixed compony."

(A/N AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!! I bet you didn't see that coming!)