Chapter 5: Ryu

I think about Kari the whole time as I walk home. I've only known her a week, but I already know that I have a crush on her. I notice it most often when I am not kept busy enough. Like when I'm doing homework. I find it so difficult to concentrate because it doesn't occupy my mind enough. When that happens, thoughts of her invade my mind and I could go on thinking about her for hours.

She has also found her way into my subconscious. I have woken up in the morning many times this week remembering the things I dreamed about her.

I unlock my front door and call out, "mom, dad. I'm home!" Silence. I walk into the kitchen and see a note on the island counter.

Ryu,

Hey honey. Both your father and I are working late at the hospital tonight. There was an accident today and they needed extra help. There are leftovers in the fridge, see you when we can.

Love,

Mom

Guess I'm on my own tonight. After crumpling up the note I toss it into the garbage and head upstairs to my bedroom. I don't feel like trying to attempt any homework at the moment. Instead I pick up some clothes off my floor and take some dirty dishes that are lying around downstairs to wash them. After heading back upstairs I put on some music and work on a drawing that I started a couple of days ago. I don't get far into it when my phone rings.

"Hey, what's up?" I say after accepting the call.

"It's alive!" comes Satoshi's voice from the other end of the line.

I laugh, "you just saw me at lunch! I think it's pretty obvious I'm alive."

"Yeah," he says practically yelling. I can hear loud music in the background, "but you were so zoned out that you were pretty much the living dead. Is something going on that I need to know about?"

I sigh, "Actually it would be really nice to talk to you about it."

Satoshi's voice gets serious, "dude, what's wrong? What happened?"

"It's nothing bad, Satoshi. Actually it's good. Very good," I say, my voice bordering on suggestiveness.

"Oh yeah?" he asks intrigued. "And what is this very good thing that has my best friend so distracted?" he pauses. "Wait, I know. It's a girl isn't it?"

I smile to myself and nod even though he can't see me. "Mm-hmm. You got it."

"Woo hoo! Way to go Ryu! I'm so happy for you man. Have you met her friends? Have you asked her out? Did you kiss her? When's the wedding?"

"Whoa, calm down Satoshi, geez. I only started talking to this girl on Monday. She's in my art class and we're not even really that close yet." Although I want to get closer to her.

Satoshi laughs, "yeah, yeah. That doesn't mean you can't ask her out though."

That's my best friend for you, jumping into dating right away. "That's not what I want to do. She seems like she can be a bit shy and I don't want to scare her away. I want to be her friend first, get to know her better for a while. If that goes well, then I'll ask her out."

A sigh sounded from the other end of the line, "alright then, suit yourself. Look man, I'm going to go, but I'll talk to you later. Try and come back down to earth by Monday though please."

I shake my head, smiling to myself, "I'll try my best. Talk to you later," I say to him in a farewell before hanging up.

After setting my phone down beside me I go back to my drawing. A couple of days ago I got really inspired to draw Kari. From just the short time I've been talking to her I can tell she's pretty insecure about herself. She's always drawn into herself like she's trying to make herself smaller than she already is. I just don't get why she's insecure though.

To me, she's beautiful, smart, talented, and she brightens up my day everytime I see her. If only she could see herself the way I see her. Then I know she would no longer be insecure. It makes me so happy to see her happy; so she needs to be happy about herself.

So a couple of days ago I thought, what better way to express this than to draw it out. I want to show it to her when I'm done, but I have to admit, I would be a bit nervous doing that. She's a much better artist than I am. I am willing to do my best for her though.

I draw until my fingers hurt and I can feel a slight headache coming on. It was worth it. She's worth it.

I put down my pencil and slip beneath my covers. As I turn off my bedside lamp and close my eyes, I think of Kari and how I can't wait to see her at school on Monday. I am thinking of her as I float through the darkness and drift off to sleep.