Chapter Seventy Nine: Run If You Can

Warning: This chapter includes violence. 

***

Amy's body fell to the ground with a loud thud, as Jayson sent the bullet right into her head. The fear and shock took over Hailie's body, but she managed to not give in to these feelings. She didn't wait for Jayson to point his gun at her. In the moment he fired, Hailie started running, knowing it was her only chance of escape. He either was full of satisfaction because of killing Amy or full of dread due to his actions, because it took him a longer moment, before he realized that Hailie wasn't standing by the stairs anymore. Just like Amy said, she ran to the second room on the right, just beside the room where she woke up.

This room was way more antique than the other one, but Hailie didn't spend her time gazing around. She shut the door closed and quickly moved the small chest of drawers to barricade the entrance. Hailie had no idea how long it would hold up against Jayson, but it should give her just enough of time. She could already hear a loud thud on the floor, and then his heavy footsteps on the stairs.

The wall was full of antique weapons, showing that Declan's dad must be a big fan of those. There wasn't unfortunately nothing Hailie could use. Blade was no use in a clash against Jayson, who had a gun, and she had no idea how to use a rifle.

"There must be something else!" she whispered, full of hope.

"Hailie!" Jayson tried to open the door, but he couldn't get in, because of the chest. "Hailie!"

Her hands started trembling as she was looking through the cabinets and drawers for something to protect herself with. She came to the desk, noticing a penknife next to an ashtray. She put it in the pocket of her jeans, because it might be useful later and it was easy to hide.

"Open the door, Hailie!" Jayson yelled. He stopped banging on them for a moment. "Open the damn door!"

It was hard to hold anything in her hands, because they were shaking so hard. When Jayson suddenly fired a gun, she lost it all. The bullet went through the door, hitting into the window. She screamed and he sent another bullet into the door, now it also hit a statue that fell into pieces on the floor next to Hailie. She collapsed and hid behind the desk, feeling how tears were overflowing her face.

Jayson killed Amy. Hailie couldn't say she liked her, but Amy didn't deserve such an end. Definitely not from Jayson's hand.

"Stop it!" she squeaked.

"Then let me in," he replied calmly.

No way!

"You killed Amy! I can't believe you seriously did that!" It was beyond her imagination. All of it seemed unreal up to the moment, when Jayson fired and killed her. She was dead. Killed right before Hailie's eyes.

"She killed Declan." It sounded as if for Jayson it was a fine explanation. A good reason to kill her too. It wasn't.

"Technically demons killed him," she dared to say, even though she thought that Amy was responsible for Declan's death too. "And they'll probably do the same to you, if you hurt me!" Hailie tried to threaten him, even if she didn't know what was going to happen to her demon friends. They were stuck in Hell with Lucifer. There was a high probability that she'll never see them again, even if she gets out from here alive.

"I'd like to see them trying, considering they're trapped in the house." He wasn't feeling threatened. He believed they couldn't hurt him if he was staying out from the Bloody Mansion. "Besides, they'll never find me. After taking care of you, I'll be gone. Nobody will find yours and Amy's bodies for weeks or longer, because not many people know about this cabin and even less care about this place enough to look here. I'll be long gone, when somebody finally finds you."