Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

Extract from Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Journal

Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Inventory of Favourable Qualities One Should Expect in One's Husband

Taken from the section noted as Amendments & Additions:

Eleven: Being adventurous of spirit, my husband should not deter such notions of dalliances with me.

Danielle Ashcroft was pruning her beloved roses when a serving girl approached her with a tray of refreshments. It was late afternoon and the sky was dappled with feathery clouds of steel grey, occasionally the sun would peak out from behind them in a rare appearance that was enough to warm the chill on the soft breeze.

"Your tea, my lady," the girl said politely, depositing the tray on a nearby stool Danielle had brought down with her.

"Thank you, Patricia." She paused for a moment, setting aside the pruning sheers and removing the thick gloves that protected her hands from thorns. Falmouth was tended by many servants, several of which ensured the lady's roses were thriving. However, Danielle felt a sense of pride and achievement if she were personally involved in their maintenance and upkeep, hence she would often indulge in a spurt of gardening.

The young girl made to depart but Danielle stopped her. "Has Miss Brightmore taken lunch or tea yet?" she asked, wondering if Oriana had decided to come out of her chambers. Captain Stanley departed only that morning and Danielle was concerned that Oriana was overcome with heartache. The girl had requested breakfast be sent up to her chambers and sent apologies to all the departing guests about her lack of appearance.

Now the castle was empty and quiet again, and Danielle had yet to talk to Oriana about all that had transpired. She hoped she would be allotted the chance today if the poor thing felt up to it. Perhaps she would check in on her guest once she had concluded her task in the rose garden.

"No, my lady," Patricia told Danielle. "I did leave Miss Brightmore a tray of food outside her door as she did not answer when I knocked, but when I walked past her room later the tray had not been touched."

"Hmm." It didn't bode well if Oriana was not eating. "Thank you. That'll be all, Patricia." The girl bobbed a curtsy and departed along the stone path towards Falmouth entrance.

Danielle briefly checked the progress she had made on the roses before finishing her tea. The sun would be setting soon and she wanted to coax Oriana from her chambers with the promise of sweet delicacies for an afternoon tea. She gathered her belongings and walked towards the castle.

When she knocked on Oriana's door, there was no response from inside. Danielle took it as a cue to open the door and peak in around the edge of the frame.

"Oriana?" she called softly. The chamber was dark and the drapes were closed. "Have you spent the whole day abed?" Danielle reproached playfully, throwing the door wide and coming into the room. She moved over to the window and pulled open the heavy drapes that blocked the diminishing sunlight from entering. When she turned to the bed Dani found that it was empty except for Plank who was curled into a huge fluffy ball at the foot. The mastiff made a petulant sound of a dog who had been unwillingly roused from a nap and studied Lady Ashcroft with an air of annoyance.

"Ori?" Dani called again, turning out the chamber to quickly survey the possibility of any occupants, of which there was none but herself and a massive bear-dog. She came to the bed where Oriana had abandoned the tray of breakfast; the food untouched. Her eyes came to lie on the morning paper that had been sent up with the tray.

Two EIC Ships Attacked; Piracy Conditions Worsen

At first she thought nothing of it, but then upon second glance a realisation snapped into place as clear as the final piece of a puzzle finding its home.

"Oh, God." Dani's hand came to her mouth. Surely sweet Oriana Brightmore wouldn't resort to such a thing? "Oh, God!"

She bolted from the chamber in a swift trot, hitching her skirts above her ankles as she ran to locate her husband. "Rhys!" she hollered shrilly. "RHYS! A problem has arisen and I swear to God I will throttle Cole Stanley the moment I lay eyes on him again!"