pt 1 chapter 3

There stood a figure, looming behind a few patches of tall grass- under the powerful shade of a towering tree.

Her heart dropped. The figure began to move forwards in her direction. Despite her sudden panic attack, her instincts stayed perfectly calm. She stood in one place and watched the figure emerge from the grass.

Out came a short boy. A short boy having red spiky hair with a goldish-yellow smudge of dye on the side. A short boy with a maroon-button shirt and shorts. A short boy shoving a gadget into his pocket.

The eeriness was eradicated from her senses. Test Tube blinked once. Twice. Three times-

The boy took a deep breath, adjusted his posture, and cleared his throat.

"H-hey, uh.." he paused and faced a different direction.

The teenager could only stare. "Hi?"

"Who are you? And w-what are you doing in my backyard?"

The energy slipped out from her mouth.

"ImayhaveaccidentallyranmycarintoatreeI'msorryIdidn'tknowthiswasyourbackyarditwasanaccidentPLEASEFORGIVEME-"

Her hands shot up, smothering her words. The boy looked back with bewilderment and confusion.

"Sorry.. I meant-"

"No, no. I understand. At least, I think so.."

The pressure finally caved in. Test Tube felt her legs meet a bed of leaves- then her chest and head followed. Her vision went dark.

--------

She awoke. She was awake. Yes. Awoke. Awakened. Awake.

Blinked. Her eyes adjusted to the surroundings.

A.. bedroom? No. Not that.

It resembled.. some sort of garage.

She glanced at a nearby sign. Her eyes lit up: she was in a shop- a car repair shop to be specific. She couldn't explain her happiness (or whether she had any), but her loss of words was easy to point out.

How did she end up at a car repair center? What time was it? How long was she knocked out for? (Technically the last two questions related to each other, but she still separated them.)

"AH! Hello??"

No answer. Looking around for clues, Test Tube spotted a note conveniently sitting right next to the bench where she had been laid down. She unfolded it, and read the greeting aloud.

Hey. So uh.. If you're reading this then it means you found yourself at my car repair store. Well. It's not technically mine- I'm just an employee here lol.

She glanced up from the note, let out a little snort, and continued reading.

You should be good to go now. No need to pay or anything, our little encounter from earlier deemed you an excuse.

But anyways- there's a remote-controller next to this note that lets you open the garage door. Oh, and.. if this is useful, you fell down unconscious at around 11:54 am. There's a clock on the wall behind you if you need to check the time.

Now that you're awake, you should get going.

She got up from the bench, turned around and glanced up. The clock sat just above a poster that spelled out the phrase: "Good gains is a good employee!"

11:54 am, huh? How much time had passed since then-

The clock read 12:16.

Test Tube frantically searched the bench for the remote and slammed her thumb onto the button. As the garage door began to fill up with light, she could spot her mother's convertible- shiny as new. She slid in- the keys were still in her pocket (thank golly) and the car started up without problem.

She was just about to drive out the garage when she thought of something.

Sliding out of the driver's seat, Test Tube rushed back to the bench. There just so happened to be a pen sitting nearby- next to some type of contract. She snatched up the pen and scribbled something on the back of the little note. Once she was finished with the writing, she hopped back into the car and drove back onto the street with no idea where she was going.

She had no idea where she was going.

Test Tube began to panic until she saw a nearby street sign. Her face brightened- she had seen this street name when leaving the gas station. So apparently the car repair shop wasn't far from here. A sigh of relief.

Soon enough she somehow made her way back to the gas station. And lo and behold- there stood her sister near the entrance, munching on something. The car practically did a flip when it made a crash landing at the front of the market.

"PIPETTE!! I WAS SO WORRIED-"

"I was waiting for like three minutes. Chill, sis," Pipette butted in with zero concern, "it's not surprising you ended up somewhere while I was gone."

Test Tube's face morphed. She immediately went from mildly relieved to overly furious.

"GIVE ME THAT!" She snatched the bag of barbecue chips from Pipette's grasp. The older sister proceeded to strap her onto the car, layering her with seat belts until she couldn't move an inch.

"HEY! I bought that with my own money.." she huffed.

The car jump-started and soon it was heading in the opposite direction in which they came. Pipette ultimately noticed their direction and squinted.

"Hey sis, this ain't the direction to the mall. Are we going home already?"

"It seems like you've had ENOUGH fun at the mini-mart, so yes. This marks the end to your little rebellious journey," Test Tube snapped.

Pipette made an exaggerated frown. "Hmmph."

--------

"Man, why do they ALWAYS make me take out the trash.."

The boy heaved a dark sack over his shoulder, the size of the sack large enough to challenge his own height. Taking a peek through the doorway, he squinted at the sunny entranceway. The garage door had been left open, and the convertible was long gone. He sighed and shuffled towards the garbage can. Whatever he went through beforehand with that girl was most definitely something different. Sneaking a tow truck out was quite an adventure, and bribing one of his co-workers to help fix the car in secret served as a whole other situation. A workout, but he would much rather do that again than take out a wrecking ball for a trash bag.

After doing his task, the boy headed back towards the workplace. He was about to step through the doorway when he noticed the slip of paper, flipped over and situated on the bench. His curiosity got the best of him.

On the slip, the girl had scribbled down a messy "thank you!" and a question to go along. He smiled at the "thank you", then slid the slip into his pocket for later.

(A.N: jeez- I need to start a better writing routine.)