03

"SPELL 'RAVISHING,'" Mr. Phillips, the school teacher, ordered.

Mr. Phillips was a strict man who looked in his thirties. He was tall, had dark hair, and a mustache where the ends curled up. He mostly wore suits which made him look more refined.

Katherine usually sat with Diana, but since Anne was new, and Diana had been her first friend, she sat somewhere else. Katherine agreed to sit next to Tillie for however long and Jane didn't mind sitting beside her sister.

Charlie Sloane, one tall young boy, was writing the word on the blackboard in front of the class in cursive while the rest wrote it on their slates.

Katherine then looked in front of her, furrowing her eyebrows, wondering what the four girls were whispering to each other about.

"What is it?" Katherine whispered to Tillie.

"Prissy and Mr. Phillips were in the supply room," she whispered back.

"What?" asked Jane, tapping me.

Katherine pretended to ignore her, thinking of the consequences that would occur once she knew about her sister and Mr. Phillips.

Charlie finished writing on the board. "Correct. You may sit. Moody, stand and deliver. Spell 'dreadful'."

Once Charlie finished erasing the chalk, Moody Spurgeon, the friend of Charlie who was more on a chubbier side, stood up and walked to the board. He began writing the 'D' in cursive.

"Like your handwriting," Mr. Phillip commented. The class chuckled.

"Moody." Anne had stood up from her seat. "It has an 'A' in it, right after the 'E', but the 'A' is silent."

Moody had turned to look at her. Katherine looked down to her slate at Anne's sudden remark. The girls were in shock, the boys silently laughing. Everyone learned that you shouldn't talk in class when you are not spoken to. It was practically a rule.

"Yes, the 'A' is silent, as you should be." Mr. Phillips stood from his desk, straightening his posture. "You are the, um, orphan, yes?"

"My name is Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, and please spell 'Anne' with an 'E'," Anne replied.

"Did I call on you?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You asked me a question," Anne answered nervously.

"Did I call on you?" Mr. Phillips reiterated, slow and stern.

"No."

"Then sit down," he commanded.

~

"Come here!" Josie called. "I thought lunchtime would never arrive!"

Anne entered the small fort the girls had made. They had pushed the desks forward and one against the chalkboard to make a square. Using a coat hanger and easel, they had put a blanket over it to make a door.

"I feel the same way," Anne smiled. Katherine thought she couldn't believe she could sit with a group of girls to talk to based on her expression.

"I'm just so excited to hear about everything that you saw," Josie said.

"Me too!"

"Me three!"

"What do you mean?" Anne asked.

"Prissy and Mr. Phillips, silly," Josie replied. "In the supply room?"

Katherine was glad Jane wasn't sitting with them at lunch. Jane loved her sister.