Chapter 12- Dad

"Guys, listen, I got some good news. I woke up this morning with a little magic under the door. We got some surprises, compliments of the hotel. First up, how would you like to mix it up with manta rays and tussle with turtles on a snorkel adventure for two?" Bob explained, reading from the card.

"Sounds cool," I said, Teddy taking the card from him eagerly.

"But that's not all. Two lucky people get an opportunity to have an overnight stay at Tulum with a private tour of the Mayan ruins. Pack your overnight bags and bring a sense of adventure," Bob said as Mom perked up.

"An overnight in Tulum? That sounds amazing," Mom said, taking the card from him.

"I'm just sayin'," Bob chuckled. "Listen, the kids are gonna have the time of their life, because, while your family is off the resort, why not stuff your bellies with free ice cream and choose from dozens of fun-filled activities at the Kids Club at a slumber party?"

"Slumber party? Kate, we're gonna have so much fun," Jack said excitedly.

"Wait, but I'm too old for Kids Club, right?" Kate protested.

"Actually, Kate, you just made the cut. You're good," Bob assured her.

"Lucky you," Teddy commented.

"Wait. This isn't some trick just to get us out of the way so you can propose to Mom, is it?" Kate questioned.

"Kate!" Mom scolded. "Sorry."

"Okay, first, you make us spend Christmas on the freaking equator, and now you don't even wanna spend it together?" Kate questioned.

"Okay, excuse us," Mom said, dragging Kate with her.

We finished breakfast, and we got ready for our trip. I walked next to Teddy, holding his hand.

"All right, we'll be back by late afternoon tomorrow," Mom explained.

"I know I was talking a big game this morning, Dad, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about this. You sure you need to be away for a whole day?" Jack questioned.

Bob sighed. "Look, man, all right? I know it's been rough ever since your mom died. But we have to keep moving. We have to keep moving ahead. Plus, I think a little independence might be good for you."

"I just wish we could be independent in closer proximity," Jack admitted.

Bob smiled. "You got this. Bring it in." They did their handshake and turned back to us.

"Oh, all right. You guys, take care. And Teddy-"

"I know, no alcohol," Teddy sighed, making me smile.

"Yes, and I was hoping you could check in on them, please?" Mom begged.

"Yeah, I... I got it covered. We got it covered. Okay?" Teddy assured her.

"Okay, love you. All right. Have fun," Mom said before walking off with Bob.

"You know, you really don't have to check in on us," Kate said.

"Yeah, I wasn't planning on it," Teddy replied. "See you tomorrow."

We started walking. I tapped my pockets, looking for my phone. "I must've left my phone in the resort. I'll be right back."

"But-" Teddy protested.

"No buts. I need my phone. I'll be right back." I stopped him, kissing him longingly before I walked away.

"Where is she going?" I whispered as I saw Kate heading toward the shuttle.

While Kate conversed with the driver, I jumped and hid in the back of the golf cart. Why did the man have my Dad's accent? Jack ran after us as we drove away. I pulled him into the back, waiting for the right time to show we were there.

"Kate, are you running away?" Jack questioned. "You're supposed to be watching me."

"Look, Jack, don't take this personally or anything-"

"Dad?" I cut her off, a horrified expression on my face as the man looked back at us.

Dad's eyes widened, staring at me. He swung the golf cart around so we fell off, being sucked into some kind of portal.

The three of us screamed, finally landing in a pile of cold. Wind rushed around us, the kids shivering.

"I don't think we're in Mexico anymore," Kate stated.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure there aren't any glaciers in a ten thousand-mile radius of the Yucatan Peninsula. This looks like the North Pole!" Jack exclaimed. "I knew I should've brought my puffy jacket. We're gonna freeze to death out here."

"Don't worry, you two. Here," I said, holding out my arms.

They wrapped their arms around me, holding onto me as if trying to hold on to my body heat. We sank to the ground as I called out. I laid my head on Kate's head, finally falling back with them. The cold was... overwhelming.