Chapter 1 ~The Opening~

10 Years Later

Mercy's POV

I enter the girls' dormitory of the Orphanage, my eyes taking a glance around the bland room. Cots were lined up around the wall, some being occupied by girls. Some of the girls were gossiping while others styled each other's hair. There were even a few reading worn and tattered books.

It was a poor place, but it was home.

I walked towards my cot, my feet dragging on the floor in exhaustion. I gave a few small waves to some of the girls that I passed. As soon as my bed was near, I fell on top of it with a small, dramatic, sigh. Some of the smaller girls giggled at my actions, but I paid no attention to them. This mornings' walk had been exhausting, so the only important thing to me right now is a good nap on my bed.

I closed my eyes and felt myself drift away, only to be brought back to the present by someone poking my ribcage. I let out a soft groan of annoyance just as the person sat on my bed, making the springs creak under our combined weight. I slowly opened my eyes and strained to see who it was. Immediately let out a sigh of relief. If it had been anyone else, I probably would just go back to sleep.

"How was your walk today?" Anne asked her dark brown hair in a braid. I flipped over onto my back and laid there, my eyes looking up towards the ceiling.

I gave her a small shrug, "It was alright. I went to go visit The Tree earlier." I mumbled silently. There wasn't anything to talk about. Anne knows what happened out there when we were younger, which also means she knows what I am.

Anne grabbed my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. I glance over at her and give her a small smile, returning the squeeze.

"Do you think it's getting any easier when you go back there?" Anne asked, her brown eyes filling with curiosity and worry.

I give her another shrug, "I guess. I know it'll take a lot longer for me to fully adjust, but I'm willing to do it." I stated, hoping it was true. After witnessing my whole clan being slain by the hands of the humans, I developed a distrust of their kind.

See, when I came across the orphanage when I was eight, I distanced myself from all of the other kids. I didn't want anything to do with their kind, especially interact or stay in the same room as them. I stayed away from them with a burning seed of anger and grief planted in my heart. And it changed when I met Anne.

Her father left her and her mother when she was about three. A few years later, her mother brought her to the orphanage and left, not looking back once. She was seven when she was dropped off here.

One day, she came over and started talking to me. I ignored her, as she was a human and I didn't want anything to do with her kind. However, she somehow managed to take down the barriers I had surrounded myself with. They're still there, but I allow Anne in without second thoughts.

"Hey, you know what we should do?" Anne said, my thoughts vanishing as soon as she spoke.

I give her a questioning look, "What?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"I think we should head to town!" She exclaimed, standing and practically dragging me up with her, "It's still pretty early in the day, so the headmistress shouldn't mind us leaving for a while."

I stumble with the sudden movement and almost fell back onto the cot, "Are you sure?" I ask, regaining my footing, "You know how I feel about people." She then began to drag me across the room.

In all honesty, I don't want to go downtown. My feet were pretty sore from my trek earlier, and I could already feel burns forming on my face from the sun. 'I guess another walk wouldn't hurt.' I thought, grabbing an umbrella that was leaning against my bed.

"I know," She admitted as she opened the dormitory door, "and you don't have to make friends with them, but I just want to spend time with you." She turned to me, her gaze boring into mine, "And I feel like we haven't had a lot of time to talk, since they're getting you ready for the real world and all."

I blinked, taking everything in. I guess I never thought how she felt about that situation. I let out a small sigh, smiling a bit, "Well, when I'm done 'adulting'-" I quote with my fingers, "we'll be able to spend time together more often." I chuckle, which makes her smile.

"Well, then we shall go!" and with that, she drags me out the door.

"We'll be back soon!" I call to the younger girls before I was dragged away. 

A/N

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Sorry, that's just me screaming, don't mind me.

But i actually typed the first chapter, woooooo!!!!

Y'know, I kinda like how everything is slowly turning out. I'll wait to post the next chapter and keep on writing to expand the story.

But yeah! I hope you guys liked the first chapter of this story! I'm hoping it'll be a great story :)

AND HAPPY PRIDE MONTH MY FRIENDS!!!!!!