Chapter 9

Poppy yawned, as they continued walking through the forest. The sun had set hours ago, but Poppy refused to stop and rest.

     Her eyes where closed, as she walked slowly, hunched over a bit.

     Branch looked at her, concerned.

     "Come on, Poppy. Let's just make camp here for the night," he said.
"No," Poppy yawned. "We have to find my mo..."

     Her words trailed off, as she began to fall forewords. Branch reacted quickly, catching her, and then slowly lowering her down to the ground.

     He watched her for a moment, as she slept peacefully, and then smiled. He sat down on the ground, pulling out the blanket he had packed, from his backpack.

     It was his favorite blanket. His Grandma had given it to him, right after he hatched, and he's had it ever since. He hugged it tightly, remembering his grandma. He hadn't thought of her in a while, but now, he couldn't stop thinking about her.

     Slowly, he lay down, wrapping himself in the blanket to stay warm. He closed his eyes, ready to go to sleep, when he heard a chattering noise.

     He looked at Poppy, as she lay on the ground shivering. He didn't hesitate to stand up, and walk over to Poppy, placing the blanket over her gently.

     She slowly stopped shivering, smiling in her sleep, as she snuggled up in the blanket.

     Branch looked at her and smiled, turning around to lay back down on the ground.

     Later that night, Poppy woke up, her eyes slowly blinking open. She looked at the blanket covering her, and then at Branch, who lay, curled up in a ball, shaking.

     She stood, bringing the blanket over to Branch, and then lay back down, wrapping the blanket around the two of them.

     Branch felt the blanket fall over him, and then turned, looking at Poppy. He smiled, and then snuggled up with her, both of them falling asleep.