Chapter 2:

Lilith PoV:

I sniffled as a strong hand defended me and pushed Megan back. She was shocked as much as I was.

'Leave her alone!' He screamed.

Finally, my hero has arrived. My cheeks went red.

He firmly gripped her hand to prevent touching me. Wow, what a hero.

'Hey, what is going on here?' A tall, skinny girl dashed across the hall to stop us. "What's going on here? James? I wonder where you've been. How did you even come here?'

'I don't know. I heard Lilith and followed her. Wouldn't want our friends getting hurt.'

That's right. That's what we are. Just friends. But why does my heart ache when he utters these words?

'Ugh, this isn't fair. Why do you hang out with losers like her James? It's disgusting to watch.' Megan yelled aggressively.

'Hmm...I do agree. Those mud-colored hair and creepy eyes aren't going to get her anywhere.' joked one of the Rosa twins Casually.

'HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Dirthead!!' Megan laughed uncontrollably.

'That's enough.' Beth came charging at her, but I stopped her.

'Let her be. She's not worth it' I whispered softly in her ear.

'But- '

I let out a huge sigh. 'Let's just go.' I continued walking without looking at their direction. I really want to ignore her, just for today at least. It's my birthday and I wanted to have a happy time celebrating it with my dearest friends. And Megan.

I can't bear to watch my bff becoming my enemy. It was supposed to be a friends to best friends phase, not friends to enemies. Well, things don't always workout the way you want, especially if you are insecure and ugly.

Oh boy how, I wish I were invisible right now, with all the yammering and shouting in the middle of the hallway, in front of hundreds of students, that too on my BIRTHDAY!?

'I am indeed a magnet of bad luck' I mumbled as I continued walking with Beth and May following me, while James was in a heated argument with Megan. May quickly pulled him from them and walked as fast as possible to avoid any other human contact.

'Let me go I wasn't done talking yet' James protested as he sweared Megan with his fancy british accent. It was sweet and charming. I wish he would swear to me like that. But that can't happen. I can't risk another friendship. Not one, but two friendships.

'Hey, it's ok, I think it's very brave of you there.' Beth leaned closer to him and kissed him in the forehead.

Suddenly I became distracted for a minute. The thoughts filled and the mental images of them both swirled my mind like a hurricane. Why her? Why not me? What does she have that I don't? I thought you loved me? But you never told me you loved me. Only friends?

Suddenly someone shook me hard to bring me back into my senses.

I startled back into reality as May yelled at me, trying to wake me up. 'Yes??' I shifted back and forth to remember what happened. Ah yes, school.

I've always liked school. It's better than home. To me, school is my home. This is where I belong. I have three awesome friends, I am good at math, I'm kind of the teacher's pet and everyone is nice here. Except for Megan and the Rosa twins. The twins are a mysterious duo, always lurking around the school to cause trouble. In fact, nobody even knows their real name. There are rumours saying that they were triplets and one of them had an accident and was never to be seen after that. They might be true. But that's none of my business., and I couldn't care less.