twenty

Two decades have passed since the birth of my twin brothers. Two decades since I was blessed, and at times, challenged with two younger siblings vying to see who was better at this and that.

No backyard cricket match or goal kicking challenge would be without the twins fighting in some way. There were rarely times where it wasn't in good fun though. Even so, I would always become mediator, stepping in and pulling them away from each other or hitting them to break up the competitiveness. Some things never really change.

The memories we created as three siblings stemmed from crazy shenanigans, trying times and a desire to have fun. Mum and Dad would try keep us from trouble but the King siblings always found a way find it. We always ended up having too much fun.

Our youth was like no other. The fun we had couldn't possibly be put into words. Nothing can describe the pure joy that was and still is.

The chaos that followed us was immense. One time being when I was in one of those red and yellow push cars and Max and Ben were pushing me along at full speed down a concrete path. They must've lost grip and tripped, jerking the car in the process. The door swung open and I fell out the side. The scraped knees we obtained were so worth the wild cheers of exhilaration escaping our lips as we had the time of our lives — together.

There were many occurrences of hide and seek that I almost always won by hiding in the most obscure places, one being in a draw of Mum and Dad's dresser. Or the times where the three of us would ride our bikes to the playground, Mum and Dad struggling to keep up as I peddled far ahead, my brothers trying to catch me. I was taller and faster than them back then.

These stories and memories will never flee my mind. They've been engraved into my brain like writing into metal. The memories are a strong remembrance of my childhood that won't ever fade.

As soon as Max and Ben were born I took the role as leader. To be the boss, the teaser and the one they can look up to and trust. It was something I took and still take seriously. It's instinct, you could say.

Follow the leader, it was. There was no doubt that in the early years of the twins' lives they followed me around for guidance. Where they'd watch what I did and do the exact same, whether it be a spitting out broccoli or biting the bottom of an ice-cream cone. It was funny considering most of the time I tricked them and they got it all down their shirts.

The responsibility lies within me, even now. I will always feel the responsibility I have for my brothers; it's etched into my head and my heart.

The height difference means nothing, not when the connection we share by blood is as strong as it is. It's truly unbreakable.

It's just now I can't believe it.

I can't believe that the twin towers of terror will no longer be teens.

I can't believe that Max and Ben will celebrate their 20th birthday today.

My two baby brothers will no longer be considered 'children' but to be fair they'll always have the lack of intellect that kids have.

Yesterday became a whole lot better when both St Kilda and Gold Coast gave Max and I permission to see Ben. We made sure to express our desire for him not to know. We wanted to surprise our brother on his birthday and to reunite with him without him knowing.

The club will allow us to rent a car for the day so we can travel down there. The only condition is that we go straight to his house and straight back. No exploring the Gold Coast due to our COVID restrictions. Doing this is probably a stretch but it's been allowed so who cares.