The climb

"Alex, are we almost there?! The snow is stinging my face and my legs are about to give out!" Sam screams, partially covering his face. "I don't know Sam! I can't even see where I am going, it's too white!" Alex shouts down to sam. 

Alex struggles to grasp the small pieces of rock, as they would come loose and fall down the mountain side, the ice making his hands weak, he would slip at every little movement he made to advance up the life threatening landmass. "What made the mountain like this all of a sudden Sam?" Alex asked. 

"I'm not sure...  I am so cold... Are we going to die Alex?" Sam shivers. Sam's arms tremble as he tightly hangs onto the rocks as an aggressive gust of wind breathed through him. "We are going to get through this! Together okay? Doesn't matter what caused this..." Alex states. 

"You know, Alex." Sam begins. "Yes?" Alex replies.  "I have been thinking; is anything we really do  as humans, worth it? Like climbing this mountain for example, it has risks, yet why do people do it when they know it has some risk to it?"

"Well think about... Why do you climb mountains? Does it make you feel a certain way, a way that is addicting to you, a way that makes you happy and excited?" Alex explains. "Yeah it does..." Sam says. "Well there you go, you answered it yourself. If it makes you happy, humans will risk a lot." Alex forced a smile. 

"Almost like risking a long line up at Tim Hortons for a tasty Cold Brew drink even though you have a meeting in 15 minutes?" Sam asks. "Exactly. Wait up!" Alex looks up the mountain side. "I see a red glow Sam." Alex cooes. "Wait what really?" Sam asks. "Yeah." Alex confirms. "Follow me! Just a bit more."

"When we get up there do you think we will see Alex?" Sam chuckles nervously. "We'll have to see Sam." "What is even the purpose of life Alex? I don't even