Chapter 28

"We're loading the ships now

"We're loading the ships now. Anakin, I want you in the first squad. Circe and her troops will follow in after you've cleared a path," Master Windu orders, pointing over the chaos and noise that fills the docking bay.

Dozens of Troopers dart between ships, their armor clanking loudly against the stone floor. Among them, several Jedi weave in and out, pointing crates of guns towards their respective ships, clearing soldiers as they form their lines, helmets clutched at their sides. Teams of hands push cannons into their loading units, securing them to the ship with a click!

A fleet of Separatists are currently moving towards the small, peaceful planet called Jeckas with weapons and warships. The inner group of leaders they call their government made contact with Coruscant late in the morning, well past when the Jedi would have preferred to be alerted. They must rush now, counting heads as they load into the ships, securing their weapons and lightsabers, adjusting their armor, and giving their orders as the metal doors swing shut.

"Squad One is loaded!" Plo-Koon yells, pointing towards a ship, "We're cleared to join them."

"I'll see you there," Anakin nods at Circe, pulling his robes tightly across his chest, securing them under his belt.

"Try not to die," Obi-Wan says, an edge in his tone.

Anakin laughs, his face bright and handsome. "What, Master, you don't like the plan?"

The older Jedi rolls his eyes, and Anakin turns to Circe. "Don't drop until we've cleared, okay?"

"I know," She answers, "We only went over it a million times."

This was her idea after all. She and Anakin know it by heart, but the night in the hall with him has left her shaken, and worried. She wishes she had a moment. That another mission like this had not come for at least a few more days, so that she had had time to ask more about Anakin's secret getaways.

Even there, right beside her, he feels far. She can feel a distance between them like a cavern.

"See you on the other side," He says, briefly touching his fingers to her cheek.

She smiles as he goes, waiting for them to clear out before leading Obi-Wan and her squad to their own ship. The engine whirs to life and they're in the air, headed off-planet.

When they get there, the Separatists have already opened fire. There is no return offense by the planet's inhabitants; only a pitiful attempt to hold off the worst of the damage. But the effort to buy time is futile. The Separatists target movement of any kind with a barrage of fire. Forests burn, animals scurry beneath the brush and between falling trees. Above the sound of the engines, Circe can hear the cry of people.

Her face hardens at the damage. Already, she can sense the loss of life. Her heart burns as their ships swing into place above the battle. Her muscles are tight, her reflexes sharper than a needle point. Her body stirs with adrenaline. She wants to jump into the fight.