Chapter Thirty Seven

Hero

Hero stayed by the door, glad that the bedchamber was large enough that he didn't have a clear view of the bed. He'd experienced more than his share of battlefields and the crude surgery that followed, but he'd never seen a more harrowing sight than Josephine's fearless, utterly calm battle to save Lady Alice and her baby.

Saving Damien's heir. The situation was fraught with irony, but he would contemplate that later. For now he concentrated on maintaining a stoic face and being ready if Josephine needed him.

Aiden returned with the towels and a full bottle of brandy. Hero opened the bottle and set it and the towels on a table beside Josephine. He was tempted to take a swig, but he guessed she meant to use the brandy to reduce the chance of infection, as when she'd operated on him. She barely noticed him as she spoke soothing words to the countess. Hero kept his eyes averted, feeling it was wrong to violate Lady Alice's privacy.

He retreated to his position by the door. Aiden was white-faced but calm. He must have seen a lot of life in a posting inn, and his mother had died in childbirth. He was a tough little fellow. But both of them flinched whenever Lady Alice cried out.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather be somewhere else? A birthing room is no place for men," Hero said quietly. "The carriage can take you back to Ashton House."

Aiden shook his head stubbornly. "I want to stay with you."

Hero nodded and draped an arm around the boy's shoulders. Though this might be no place for males, he was selfishly glad for Aiden's company. The large posts of the bed blocked much of the scene, but Lady Alice seemed to be kneeling, supported by Josephine and the maid.

The door downstairs opened again and footsteps pounded up the stairs. Had the society accoucheur finally arrived?

Lord Damien burst into the bedroom, his face haggard. "Hold on, Alice, the physician will be here soon!"

Then he saw Josephine by the bed and stopped dead in his tracks. "You!" he said venomously. "Get away from my wife, you murderous bitch!"

The countess screamed with bloodchilling force. Raging, Damien started across the bedroom.

Realizing why Josephine had asked him to stay and be ready to help, Hero caught his uncle's arm in a steely grip. "Stop right here!"

Damien's head swiveled around and he gasped in shock to see his nephew. "I should have known you'd be here, too," he snarled. "You've come to see that my heir die, you and your devil-spawn wife! Well, you won't succeed, damn you!" He tried to jerk his arm free.

Hero's grip held firm. "Show some sense!" he snapped. "Jo isn't the midwife you would have chosen, but by a miracle, she's here. You should go down on your knees and give thanks that we decided to call. If your wife and son survive, it will be because of her! "

Raging, Damien swung his free had in a savage strike at Hero's face. Randall caught the other man's wrist and twisted it to the point of excruciating pain. "If you want to help your wife, behave like a man, not a savage. And if you go near Josephine, I will break your arm."

Shaking with fury, the earl spat, "You have no right to keep me from my wife!"

Before Hero could respond, a cry sounded from the bed. This time it wasn't a scream of agony from the countess, but the thin wail of a newborn infant. Damien turned his attention to the bed. "Alice?"

Hero released his uncle and followed the man across the room, ready to stop him if he threatened Josephine. They reached the bedside together as Josephine crooned, "Splendidly done, Alice! The worst is over and your pains have been rewarded."