prologue.

―――

―――

CASSANDRE'S PHONE VIBRATED IN HER POCKET AS SHE KNEELED OVER THE BODY OF A VAMPIRE. He was fifteen in appearance and approximately two hundred years old in reality. He had also been inexperienced in combat, even after two centuries of chance to learn. She cut the head from his body swiftly, the hesitation that would have once stayed her arm long gone. Though she had already stabbed him in the heart with a wooden stake, it was best to be certain.

She came to her feet and finally answered the phone without bothering to look at who was calling. 

"What?" she snapped into the receiver, wiping the blade of her machete on the clothes of her most recent victim. A loud chuckle emitted from the other end, giving pause to her careless motions. "Marcellus," she grumbled, "I don't really feel like patience at the moment, so make it quick or I'll cut your head off like I just did this fine gentleman." 

"You owe me a lot of favors, Cass. I'm just calling in one of them. Ever heard of the Strix?

"Ancient society of stuck-up, prissy preening peacock vampires. Yes; now tell me why you're asking." She held the phone to her shoulder precariously with the side of her head, using her free hands to unceremoniously drag the vampire's body into an open green dumpster. 

"They invited me to a ball. I want you to come with me.

"Aw, you can't even get a date?" Cassandre began pouring a gasoline-and-salt mixture into the dumpster over the vampire's body. 

"Actually, I just want you there to give me an edge. You have superior instincts as a Hunter, and the Mark will make you intimidating.

"Which one?" 

"What?

"Never mind." She snorted and lit a few matches, then tossed them in. The dumpster went up instantly. Cassandre turned away to leave, shrugging as she saw the blood smears on the pavement, and it occurred to her that she really didn't have anything else to do. She quenched the thirst of the Mark of Cain by allowing the urges of her Hunter's Mark to grow wild, out of control. All she really did was hunt, mainly vampires and a few other monsters if there was a lack of the former. "I don't have anything to wear." 

"I'll buy you something. Plenty of boutiques here. Just get to New Orleans ASAP.

―――

( a/n: calling it now: marssandre brotp )