~mirrors~

author's note- this takes place during captain america: civil war! so bucky is finally back and steve, tony and everyone are still alive (tho tony obviously isn't relevant to the story lmao.)

    also, this is a bucky x reader story. i normally don't write x reader but i thought it was best for one shots. if you have any ideas or suggestions for future one shots feel free to comment it or let me know, i'll credit you if i write it!

   this one is a softer bucky one, future ones will be much angrier and more of enemies to lovers vibes. i'm just getting started with this one 😼

thanks for reading!

~~~

  it's dark in the avengers compound when you arrive. your mission with steve had failed, and you'd been left to fend for yourself after you'd lost communications with him.

   your arm is in immense pain from the fall you'd taken, and there's blood trickling out of the wound above your eyebrow. you'd underestimated the strength of the men working for hydra, causing many injuries that could've been easily prevented.

   you get in the elevator and click the button for your floor, resting your entire weight on the wall as the room shoots up through the tower. the thin material of the tank you're wearing is torn, and there is a breeze against your stomach from the hole in the fabric.

the elevator dings once, signaling you've arrived at your floor. you get out, stumbling as your injured ankle struggles to support your weight after you push off the wall. you walk down the hallway leading to your room, shoving the door open with your body as you practically fall inside.

the lights drifting in through the windows are bright, but they don't much affect the darkness of the night. there's a steady rainfall pattering against the metal roof creating a loud sound that reverberates throughout the tower, but otherwise, all is quiet.

you stumble blindly to your bathroom, pushing it open and flicking on the dim light. you stare at your bloodied face and curse your foolishness, before bending down to retrieve medical supplies from the cabinet.

you swear you heard the door of your bedroom open, so you turn to check to make sure you weren't just hallucinating it.

a tall man stands in front of the door to your bedroom. his hair is messy and his eyes are blue. he clears the room towards you in only a couple strides, long legs carrying him effortlessly across the floor.

"bucky." you whisper, looking up into his darkened eyes. he takes one look at the state of you, and his jaw clenches and eyes darken to an inky blue. he's wearing a black shirt, and his muscular biceps are protruding in the fabric as he crosses his arms over his chest. his shirt hikes up on his metal arm, revealing half of the taunting red star, a reminder of all that had happened to him.

"steve told me what happened. i came as soon as i heard." his voice is low with that lazy drawl to it, accent thick with how late it is in the night. you always like it when his brooklyn accent surfaces.

he steps closer to you, gently grabbing your chin in between the index finger and thumb of his metal hand, tilting your face up so that he can better see you.

there's stubble lining his strong jawline, and his nostrils are slightly flared as his steely eyes flicker across your face, taking in every cut and bruise. his grip tightens, but not painfully, and his eyes narrow in anger.

"i'll fucking kill them." his voice is strained as he brushes a piece of your hair back behind your ear. the action was a strangely sweet contrast to the deadly tone of his voice.