twelve

Lindsey smiled as she sat in her room with headphones in as Elena walked in. Elena sat on the bed and smiled as Lindsey took the headphones off. "What?" She asked.

"I brought you this." Elena replies as she showed a bracelet. "I also wanted to see how things are between you and Matt."

Lindsey looked down at her hands as she didn't know what they were. "We're just friends." She tells her. "I don't think he sees me that way Elena and I guess, I'm fine with that."

"Lindsey, I know he cares for you." She said as she had her sister look up at her. "Matt is starting to see it."

Lindsey nodded as her sister left. She didn't know exactly why Elena was asking questions, but she felt awkward. Deciding to look for a dress for the decade dance, Lindsey went to her closet and started looking as the bracelet her sister gave her laid on the bed.
~~~
At school, Lindsey smiled as she arrived at her locker. Caroline walked over to her friend and smiled. "So, have you asked Matt to the dance?"

"Not yet." She said. "I haven't had the chance too."

Caroline nodded as she saw Elena walking over to them. Lindsey shut her locker and saw her sister making her walk away as she doesn't want to have this talk again. "Lindsey." She heard Elena making her stop. "You aren't wearing your bracelet."

"Why should I?' She asked.

"I thought you would wear it because I'm sorry for how things have been. I never meant for you to feel like you were second. I always thought you came first and then there was the fact I didn't know you liked Matt." Elena sighed. "All I'm saying is for you to be happy."

Lindsey nodded as she walked away. She stopped and pulled the bracelet out and sighed. "Hey."

"Hey." She said as she looked up to see Matt. "Should have known, but I do have to ask you something."

"Sure."

"Tonight is the decade dance and I was wondering if you wanted to go."

Matt sighed making Lindsey look down. "I have to work tonight. I applied at the grill."

Lindsey nodded. "I guess I'll see you around then." She said as she walked away.

Matt sighed as he walked away. Scott looked between his two friends and knew that they were both upset. Shaking his head, he went to find Caroline to tell her he is working tonight also.
~~~
That night, Lindsey was at the dance, but she wasn't having a great time. "Hey." Elena said as she hugged her sister. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks."

"What's wrong?" Elena asked as she noticed the unhappy look on her sister's face.

"It's nothing." She says. "I shouldn't have come to this stupid dance if I wasn't going to enjoy myself." Lindsey saw Stefan and looked at Elena. "I think you are being searched for."

Elena looked and nodded as she walked away. Lindsey walked away from the dance as she was going to go get her dinner and possibly go home. "Lindsey, wait up." She heard Bonnie and turned to look at her and Caroline. "We're heading to the grill if you want to go."

"That's where I was heading for dinner and going home." She said. "The more the merrier."
~~~
Lindsey was looking at the menu as Bonnie and Caroline talked. She didn't really care what they were saying. "Guys, I'll be right back." She says as she stood up. "I'm going to go wash my hands."

Matt turned to see Lindsey walking to the bathroom. "I didn't know she was here."

"Dude, she's been here for 15 minutes." Scott said. "She's not having a good night though."

Inside the bathroom, Lindsey looked at herself and sighed. She looked tired and annoyed. Deciding to walk out, she heard her name and Matt's. She looked and walked over to Scott. "What's going on?" She asked.

Scott turned and looked at her. "Nothing." He said.

Lindsey rolled her eyes to see Caroline leaving making her run after the blonde. "What happened?" Lindsey asked as she got beside Caroline.

"I screwed up."
~~~
Lindsey promised to stay the night with Caroline. Matt saw her and slowed down. "Get in." He said.

"I think I can walk." She said making Matt pull over as she continued to walk.

Matt grabbed Lindsey and kissed her. Lindsey was shocked, but kissed him back. She couldn't believe this happened, but she was glad that her feelings wasn't just one sided. The two broke the kiss before he kissed her once again. Matt had someone that it should have been from the beginning. Lindsey Gilbert was now his.