Nightmares

I wake from my slumber, opening my eyes then looking around, "It's still early." I whisper, the dark sky is being illuminated by nothing other than the full moon. Shining brightly, peeking in the room from the window.

"Okasan-" Shoto mumbles, I snap my attention to him. His face is dripping with sweat, his usual expressionless face is replaced by a bothered one. 

Cold air splashes my face, either because of the window or because of him having an ice quirk. His nose is scrunched while he squirms on the bed, eyebrows furrowed, turning and tossing in his sleep. Sleep talking while he's at it.

"Yamero!" he yells, shooting up from the bed, his eyes wide open. His pants fill the room making me feel breathless. I stand up, walking towards him.

"Steady and slow breaths, do it with me. Okay?" I tell him, steadily breathing. I hum him a lullaby Okasan used to sing to me. 'Edo lullaby' something that used to calm me down when I have nightmares. He calms down, looking out the window almost longingly.

He asks for water, I guide him into the balcony, then close my eyes, concentrating on the things downstairs. I open the fridge with my quirk to get cold water, redirecting a glass from the cupholder. I redirect it to my room then give it to Shoto.

"Arigato, Yukine-kun." Shoto thanks, gratefully drinking the glass of water.

"It's nothing, friends do that for each other. I have your back, you have mine." I tell him, looking at Katsuki's bedroom window to see him sleeping peacefully. "I used to have nightmares too, mostly when my parents just died. Obasan was mostly there but when she worked night shifts she told Mitsuki-san to have me sleep in their house or have Katsuki over." I tell him, smiling at the memory.

"Is that where you learned to calm someone down?" he asks, turning to look at me.

"Well, from my mother actually. It's what makes it worse, she isn't there to comfort me. Katsuki always was there for me. It's calming, his snarky remarks, even when he's screaming, I just kind of got used to it. His atmosphere, it feels safe. Maybe it's because we were childhood bestfriends." I ramble, having a few hand movements here and there.

"I see, did I wake you?" Shoto worriedly asks, now giving me his full attention. I shake my head, before moving my hand to bring me my blanket.

"Do you want to go back to sleep or do something risky... well we have quirks so whatever." I suggest, looking at him for an answer.

"Risky." he responds quickly, making me giggle. I look at the roof before turning to him and gesturing at the top of our house.

"Let's go then." I reply, redirecting the both of us to be on the roof. 

When we get there it is absolutely stunning, the cold breeze hitting my face sending a tingle through out my body, the stars come into view as I lay on the cold metal beneath us. The moonlight makes Shoto's hair shine, the sparkle in his eyes as if he hasn't done this before.

"Wait, you haven't been stargazing ever?" I asked, breaking out of my daze.

"No, but it's beautiful though." he answers, laying down with me. Taking a deep breath of the free air.

Until he drifts off to sleep, leaving me stargazing on my own, I heave a sigh. Redirecting him off the roof and back to my bed, tucking him in. The warmth of my room sends a comforting aura, I relax at the feeling. The feeling of home, the feeling of safety. 

I fall back into my slumber, not having a care in the world, unaware of what stress is to come of the next day.

____