Chapter 17

"Thraya, can you hear me?"

Thraya's eyelids fluttered open and settled on Fili's face.

He cracked a grin. "You're looking better already. You stopped bleeding a while ago, but the wound still probably needs a good clean."

She groaned.

"Anyway, we're approaching what seems to be our destination," Kili said, pointing out a massive rocky outcropping.

"Is that..." Thraya breathed. "Oh, no..."

"I'm afraid so," Kili said softly.

"Is he...please tell me he's still alive!" she breathed urgently, looking at the limp form of her father being lowered gently onto the rock.

"I don't know," Fili murmured. "We can only hope."

The Eagle carrying them reached the peak and landed smoothly. Fili slid off first and helped Kili get Thraya down safely. She had just begun to stand straight with her good arm around Fili.

"No," he said firmly. "You are not allowed to push yourself when injured ever again."

"Fili, what are you..." Before she could finish her question, he had picked her up, causing her to let out an undignified yelp. "Fili!"

Kili shushed her. "Let him take care of you. It'll save us all unnecessary aggravation."

"But I have to get to Thorin!" she insisted. "I might be able to help him!"

Fili gestured with his chin to where Gandalf was leaning over Thorin. "The wizard's on it. And in your state, you had better not exert yourself in any noble selfless act. You did enough of that last night."

Thraya's lip trembled. "I need to see him, nadad."

Fili let out a sigh. "I'm worried too, namadith. But...you know he wouldn't want you hurting yourself further on his account. I'll bring you to him. Just...don't do anything foolish."

Thraya looked over towards her unconscious father and nodded, blinking back tears. "He's going to be alright," she whispered. "He has to."

Fili brought her over and set her down gently right by Gandalf and Thorin.

"Adad," she whispered, gripping his hand tightly. "Please..."

She was aware of Gandalf vaguely murmuring something and slowly passing his hand over Thorin's body.

An eternal moment passed before Thorin took in an audible breath. His eyes opened and immediately met Thraya's.

"Adad!" she sobbed, giving him a most awkwardly angled one-armed hug.

Thorin brought his hand up and returned the embrace, gripping her tightly for a moment, simply breathing deeply and taking in his surroundings.

Thraya finally released him and sat up.

Thorin's eyes met Gandalf's.

"The Halfling?" he asked in a hoarse whisper.

Gandalf smiled. "It's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe." He shifted slightly to the side so Thorin could see the hobbit who had a relieved smile on his face.

"You," Thorin snarled.

Bilbo's smile immediately vanished as Thorin got to his feet.

"What were you doing?" Thorin demanded in a harsh tone. "You nearly got yourself killed!"

"Father!" Thraya protested. He ignored her and advanced on Bilbo.

"Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and you had no place amongst us?"

Thraya was outraged. She began trying to get to her feet when Thorin stopped directly in front of Bilbo.

Suddenly, the dwarf king embraced the hobbit. "I have never been so wrong in all my life!"

Thraya released a sigh. "Dramatic arse," she whispered so only Fili could hear.

"I'm sorry I doubted you," Thorin continued.

Bilbo gave an awkward smile. "No, I...I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero, nor a warrior. Not even a burglar."

"You undersell yourself, my friend," Thraya said softly. Thorin turned back and nodded towards her in agreement. As he then turned back to face Bilbo, his eyes fell on something on the horizon. Bilbo followed his gaze.

"Is that what I think it is?" he asked in a slightly hushed voice.

The other dwarves approached the edge of the overlook.

"Erebor!" Gandalf declared. "The Lonely Mountain. The last of the Great Dwarf Kingdoms of Middle-earth."

"Our home," Thorin said softly, taking Thraya's hand. "I can't wait to show you, ibine."

"A raven!" Oin suddenly shouted. "The birds are returning to the mountain!"

Thraya squinted at the bird retreating in the distance. "That is not a raven."

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush," Gandalf corrected.

"Well, we'll take it as a good omen," Thorin said, refusing to let his good mood be lessened.

"You're right," Bilbo said in a contented tone. "I do believe the worst is behind us."

Thraya laughed. "Here's hoping."

Ibine: my gem (Khuzdul)

Hey y'all!  Hope you liked this sweet, albeit short chapter!  

~Dawn