Chapter 7: talks

Thorin and some of the Company, including the burgler Bilbo Baggins had left Lake Town during the night to venture to the Lonely Mountain as Kili was unfit to go and people need to stay with him. That left only Caerywn, Fili, Oin and Bofur who stayed behind to look after Kili. Caerwyn woke up early the next morning only to find less Dwarfs that she had previously counted. As it was barely dark outside, Caerywn stepped out of the front door only to see Bard looking towards the mountain.

"When I saw you last night, you seemed angry," Caerwyn ventured. "Did something else happen?" There was a moment of silence before he spoke again. "Did you know that you had sworn to protect the heir to the throne of Erebor?" Bard asked. "I did," she replied. "Why? What has he done?"

"It isn't what he has done, so much as what has been foretold will happen," Bard said uneasily. "Words were spoken long ago about the return of the King Under the Mountain, and the joy of the people. But it also warns that the water will burn." Caerwyn furrowed her brow in confusion. What did he mean, the water would---? Oh no. "The dragon?" Caerwyn whispered, not keeping the fear from widening her eyes. "That's what it means, doesn't it?"

Bard's solemn nod sent her jaw clenching for the umpteenth time, and Caerwyn closed her eyes in regret. Yes, the mountain would be won, but at what price? Smaug was going to decimate Laketown, destroy homes and livelihoods, all because he had been forced from the mountain.

If the company hadn't left yet, she had to warn them of what was to befall Laketown, that no matter how quiet Hobbits could be, Smaug would wake. Caerwyn remembered Thorin's words---they were leaving for The Lonely Mountain today. She had to catch them before it was too late, unless they were already long gone. "What are you doing? You're still healing," Bard insisted, the anger gone from his voice as he made to stop Caerwyn from standing up. "I must warn them that their efforts are in vain," I said, working up the strength to get up. "Your home cannot be the price for theirs, not if it means waking a dragon and leaving others to die by fire!"

"I swore to serve until my oath was fulfilled," Caerwyn said, beginning to feel desperate. "I swore that I would serve Thorin's kin and company, and that doesn't always require a sword. In this case, it needs words and sense. They need to know that the pain they suffered in losing their home will be the same that Laketown's people will feel, and it just isn't right!"

A sudden burst of strength enabled Caerwyn to rise to her own two feet, despite Bard being prepared to set her back down. However, she didn't get as far as she had wanted to, having set sights on the front door. Caerwyn took a couple of sure steps before she faltered, quickly becoming dizzy and having to close her eyes against it. She felt Bard's hands on my arms as she fell back without realising it. The wound from the night before, in her leg was still stinging.

"I can't...I can't let them do this," Caerwyn said between breaths.

"You would not be able to stop them." Was that regret in Bard's voice that she heard? "I know you swore an oath, but you are in no condition to act on it. Besides, you promised Bilbo that you wouldn't try to leave, and promised as much to Thorin." Caerwyn remembered her promises, but they had been made before she knew that their efforts would bring destruction to Laketown.

"I tried to tell them last night what I've just told you," Bard continued. "The Master saw only the prospect of wealth and didn't consider the prophecy. In the fervor of the moment, none of the people remembered, either. It is by the Master's consent that the Dwarves and Bilbo go on to The Lonely Mountain."

"I am...so sorry," Caerwyn murmured, shaking her head from side to side. "It isn't your fault, Caerwyn," Bard tried to reassure me. She looked over at him, my expression still awash with guilt. "It makes no difference, Bard." It was then she decided something. "I will help how I can," Caerwyn said resolutely. "I will help you, your family, as many as I can, to escape the wrath of Smaug." Bard's eyebrows raised, and it looked like he was trying to hide an amused smirk from her. "While your offer is appreciated, Caerwyn, remember that you can hardly stand."

"I mean it," Caerwyn said, lowering her voice. "My company and I brought this terror to your doorstep. It is the least I can do." He nodded, considering my words, and for one triumphant moment, Caerwyn thought she had won him over. "Caerwyn...you will die if you try to exert yourself again," Bard said, his tone solemn.

"I have no doubt of your bravery, if the brief mentions that Bilbo recalled for you are of any indication. You also have a kind and noble heart for one so young. Your resolve is not enough, though. Even after the destruction of the dragon, I would not be keen on telling Thorin that you died, not after how he doted on you last night."