Bombs and Bugs - Pt 2

"G!" I cry. G only looks at me sadly as an officer pushes him into the back of the police car. I had dirt on my hands but that doesn't stop me from taking the other officer by the hand. "Please, he didn't mean it. Please, just let him go. He's sorry and he won't do it again."

The officer, one of the nicer ones who had come for my brother, kneels down in front of me so he could look me in the eye. "Are you his little sister?" he asks. I nod.

"Please don't take him away," I beg.

"I'm afraid we have to," he says. His partner calls to him and he glances over his shoulder before turning back to me. "He'll be back in no time."

The officer stands and returns to the police car, brushing  off the dirt that I had left on his hand. I find G watching me from the back seat of the car. He doesn't say anything as the car pulls away from the curb. I stand there as the car turns a corner and disappears around a corner. I don't move, waiting for them to return my older brother. Our foster mom puts her hand on my shoulder and pulls me back into the house. I didn't resist, knowing that I might not see G for weeks or even months. I angrily wipe away the tears that threatened at my eyes before anyone realised they were there.

I was leaning against a tree at the front of the school, toeing the wet mud with my shoe when I hear, "Oi, mud!"

I look up to see a group of boys who were in the year above me. I scrunch my nose up at the stupid name they had given me but ignore them, turning my attention back to my shoes. I could hear them laughing as they stop 20 feet from me. I let out a sigh. I was too tired to deal with this. I ignore them as they approach me.

"Hey loser!"

Still, I ignored them as other students quietened to watch.

"Are you deaf, orphan?"

I look up at them. Whispers break out around me. I had only been at this school for a week. How they knew that was beyond me. I didn't let my surprise and annoyance show as the information spread across the yard.

"Ah, she can hear," the boy who appeared to be the leader says. I see G appear at the door to the school. Even from here, I could see his confusion turn to anger as he sees the group of boys approach me. I knew I had to do something before he reached us. He had only been out of juvie for a day and I couldn't let him get in trouble again.

"Can I help you?" I ask flatly. The leader looks me up and down and smirks.

"I don't know, can you, sweetheart?"

G was closing in and the comment sent him into more of a rage. So I did the most logical thing I could. I pushed off the tree and approached the group. This movement surprised G and he slowed. The boy in front of me, though, grinned at me. His eyes dragged across my body as I approached him. I didn't hesitate to punch him in the face as soon as I was close enough. He stumbles back as gasps echo around us. Two of his thugs who had been standing behind him catch him.

The boy who liked to call me mud yells, "What the fuck?!"

He swung at me and I ducked low. I was glad it had rained the night before and the school had little grass. I grab a handful of thick mud before straightening and slamming it against the side of his face. He staggers to the side as mud slides down his face and neck. Another of the boys lunges at me and dodge him, scooping another handful of mud and throwing it at him as he spins to face me again. It hits him in the face and the force of it had him slipping on a particularly muddy part of the ground. I moved to a spot where I could see all of the boys without having to turn my back to any of them. I scoop up another handful of mud as one of the other guys looked ready to come at me but I speak before he could.

"Next one to come at me gets a handful of mud shoved down their throat."

My threat seems to hit home and no one moves.

"Miss. Callen!"

I look up to see the principle storming towards me, a student trailing behind her. I spot G in the crowd, looking proud.

I was kneeling in the front yard, a small collection of flowers by my side, my hands covered in mud and digging holes in the garden. The family I had been staying with had been kind enough to let me plant some flowers in the garden. I knew they wouldn't last when I left, but it gave me something to do while I was here. I chose one of the bunches of flowers sitting beside me and place it in one of the holes I had made. Filling it back in, I notice a ladybug crawling across a petal. I gently pick it up and watch it crawl across my muddy fingers. I hear someone approach me from behind.

"You have a bug in your hair," he says before I had the chance to turn around. I grin as I stand and turn to see my brother, his hands in his pockets.

"Maybe I wanted it there," I say. He laughs as he approaches me.

"Let me guess, you wanted the mud in your hair as well?" he asks.

"As a matter of fact, yes," I say. He notices the bug in my hand.

"Is that a ladybug?"

"Yeah, wanna hold it?"

"No thanks, bugsy," he says. I shrug and the movement sends the critter flying away.

"So how long are you going to be back this time?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Depends on how much you annoy me," he says, a grin playing on his lips.

"Asshole," I say, smearing mud on his face. He slaps my hand away, laughing. I smile and drop back to my knees to finish my gardening. I sits behind me and uses my shirt to wipe his face. I laugh but I didn't flinch away. My shirt was already filthy so it didn't really matter if he used it to wipe his face.

I woke with a start. I blink away the memories of my childhood. Kensi was kneeling in front off me while Eric and Sam were standing behind her.

"How long was I asleep for?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"Two hours," Kensi says.

"How's G?"

"He's awake," Eric says. "Hetty's with him now."

"He's asking for you," Sam says. I nod and stand, following them through the hospital and into a room where Hetty was talking to a tired looking G.

"You look like crap," I say as a way of greeting.

"Says you," he retorts. I stick my tongue out at him.

A/N: I kind of feel like a broken record apologising for the delays in posting but I am truly sorry.

I keep forgetting or I'm super busy or I just have a writers block but I finally finished it after almost 2 months.