06

It was eleven o'clock the next morning. Tony was walking through the park with his partners, agents 54 and 48. All three were dressed in suits and ties. It was a cloudy morning, it was likely to rain later in the day.

"Where are we going?" asked Tony.

"Well, I thought since we were assigned to save the orphanage it would be a good idea to get an inside look," said Agent 48. "It's this way."

They walked a little further and came to a two-story rectangular building, painted light blue. A sign was posted above the door.

ORPHANAGE LEFROST RANDELLA

Agent 48 walked up to the door and rang the bell. A woman opened the door. She ushered them in. The woman looked to be about fifty years old, dressed in a black skirt and a light blue blouse.

"My name is Mirtha, I am the director of the orphanage. I will take you to the children."

The orphanage looked like a kind of school. The walls were painted in two colors, light blue on the bottom half and white on the top half. Some pictures were hanging, apparently reproductions of pop art paintings. He could see some can openers, probably painted by Randy Randella. There was a painting showing some teddy bears in different colors. The place was not depressing at all.

They walked to a room. There was a group of about twelve children, playing. There were toys. The children looked to be from about 4 years old to about 13. They weren't dressed in the light blue uniform Tony had seen in the park, they were wearing everyday clothes.

"The rest of the kids are at school. These ones here go in the afternoon, or they are still very young. Children!" she addressed the children. "These are three friends from our orphanage."

The children looked at the agents. A boy about four years old was playing with a plastic teapot and cups, next to a girl.

"Here," he held out the plastic cup to Tony.

Tony smiled and looked at the plastic cup. It was empty.

"Thank you," said Tony, not understanding what the boy wanted.

"It's coffee!" said the boy.

"Oh," said Tony, and pretended to drink it. Then he handed the cup back to the boy.

Agent 48 stepped forward and went to the boy.

"Here, let me do it," he said. "Hey, do you have any coffee? Pour me one!"

The boy pretended to pour him a coffee. He held out the empty cup to Agent 48. Agent 48 put it to his mouth.

"Ouch!" he said suddenly, "this coffee is too hot!"

Agent 48 stuck out his tongue and began fanning it with his hand. The children laughed.

"He burned himself!" said one.

Agent 48 handed the cup back to the child.

"Give me another one, make it colder!"

The boy poured another invisible coffee. He held it out to Agent 48. Agent 48 put the cup to his mouth.

"This coffee is also very hot!"

He stuck out his tongue again and fanned it with his hand. The children laughed again.

"Now me!" said the girl who was playing with the boy.

She poured out an invisible coffee and handed it to Agent 48.

"Oh, this coffee's too hot, too!" he said, fanning his tongue.

The children laughed again, even more than before.