Code 24: Proposal

"Do you regret that you didn't want your name to be mentioned?" Yusuke asked while playing with my hair. We were watching the press conference about Yusuke's case, my head on his lap.

"No, I didn't do what I did for recognition," I replied, my eyes still on the screen.

Yusuke clenched his hand into a fist and placed it towards my mouth as if he was holding a microphone, "Tahara-san, then why did you do that?" he asked, impersonating a reporter.

I gave it a quick thought and decided to play along, "I did it to save my husband."

"Oh, that is so-" Yusuke stopped abruptly, realizing what I said. He grabbed my face and turned me towards himself, "what did you say?" he asked with confusion.

I took a sitting position and now we were sitting face to face, "I said I did it because I wanted to save my husband," I repeated and took out the small ring box I was carrying around for five days. I opened the lid and two identical simple platinum rings appeared.

"Are you..." Yusuke mumbled, his hand on his mouth with shock.

"Yes, I am proposing to you," I confirmed and took Yusuke's hand, "after what happened, I realized that I can't live without you as you are my life-line. I want to reserve you only for myself as well as to devote myself to you officially. So, what do you say? Will you marry me, Yusuke?"

Yusuke nodded with happy tears in his eyes and I put one of the rings onto his ring finger, then he helped me with the other.

"I love you," I said with 100% of truth and Yusuke leaned forward to capture my lips with his.

"I love you too," Yusuke mumbled into the kiss, "and thank you for saving me."

"You saved me first," I mumbled back before deepening the kiss.

I loved this man with all my might and couldn't wait to make him mine officially.

Well, I might have forgotten a certain fact though...

The moment I read the law, I buried my head into my palms. How could I be so stupid? Japan didn't allow gay marriages yet!

Maybe I should just hack- Stop it!

My mind was in chaos as I really wanted to marry Yusuke legally. Of course, I knew a symbolic marriage was possible, but still...

I realized that Yusuke probably didn't think that I was meaning an official marriage and he was okay with having a simple ceremony between us and a few friends, but I wanted to give him more than a ceremony.

Childish? Maybe... Who cares?

Maybe we could fly to Taiwan as it was legal there, but the money was a problem.

Sighing, I slumped onto the sofa.

Interestingly, after like ten minutes, the doorbell rang. Wondering if Yusuke forgot his keys, I opened the door, only to find Mika-chan.

"Mika-chan?" I asked with shock as she was the last person I would expect to see.

"Hi, oniichan!" Mika handed me a cake box and pushed me aside and entered the flat. Making herself comfortable on the sofa, she said "I was in the neighbourhood and wanted to pay a visit to you. Where is Yusuke-kun?"

"He is at work," I said and took the cake to the kitchen. While I was serving it to two plates, Mika-chan took her place on the table.

"You look down, what happened? Did Yusuke-kun forget who you are after getting hit by his head?"

I rolled my eyes, "what kind of active imagination is that?" I asked with astonishment.

"I read too much yaoi, but my favorite couple is you two!" she exclaimed and I almost dropped the plates. Noticing my shocked reaction, she chuckled, clapping her hands, "why so surprised? It is not like you guys are giving any effort to hide your love."

I was lost for words, so I just shrugged and gave her a plate.

"Tell me what's wrong," she pressed again and I decided to share my disappointment with her. She seemed like the best choice as my other acquaintances were all nerds.

"I proposed to Yusuke," I said and Mika-chan's eyes protruded from her eye sockets.

"WHATTTTTT?!" she yelled, making me deaf, "I AM IN HEAVEN!"

"Silly girl, be quiet," I reprimanded her gently and she came back to the earth.

"Wait, did he say no?" she asked, horrified.

"No," I replied quickly, "the problem is that I forgot that we can't marry here legally."

"Just that?" she asked confused and that made me more confused.

"Yes?" I said with hesitation.

"Oh, that is easy," she said with a grin and took out her phone from her pocket, "father wanted to do something for you two as you not only saved his precious daughter, but also helped him to protect KZK twice."

"No no," I refuted immediately, "Yusuke saved you and your father helped me to save Yusuke, so we are even."

She pouted, but nodded nonetheless. After that, we just enjoyed our cake until it was time for her to attend the drawing lesson.

Although I long forgot about the conversation we had, the very next day, I received a call from Nakamura-san.