Prologue

Welcome, everyone! Through the vote we held it has been decided that Hoshi's story is going to split from the one with Takashi in it and become its own thing, so here we are (: I hope you all enjoy! The rewrite of Sorry will be dropping pretty soon, but this was just so fun to write and I'm excited to explore and get to know Hoshi even more with you guys! Happy pride month!!!

Cover contest right off the bat at the bottom bc the one we have right now... y'all... pls adjlksds its so bad I'm so sorry ahHLADHLS

Third person pov

Enji Todoroki stands firmly by the belief that soulmates do not exist. Or he did until like, four seconds ago.

The media claims them to be rare and precious-- something to be cherished if ever found, like an uncut gem shiny with purity. Someone who will love you fuller and deeper than anyone else in the world ever could. They boast that your soulmate is your destined partner as set by fate, and that once you look them in the eyes, an unshakable bond will form. A reliance will develop, a promise, a pact. It's such a romanticized thing, and Enji hates it. Hated it. He isn't sure how to feel anymore. 

To him, it had always screamed weakness. It's a fairytale made up for those feeling weak and unloved and alone. He refuses to feed into it. The thought of having a connection like that to drag him down makes him feel nearly physically ill with rage. Why would anyone want a complete stranger to have such power and feeling over them? It had just seemed so idiotic. Not worth it in the least. In terms of love, Enji has never claimed himself to be a professional, sure. All he does know is that he does not need it to be powerful. It will only hold him back. That's why he was always so harsh on his children. They needed to know the hardships of the world and be ready to face them. They'd get hurt if they didn't.

Enji had been so sure, again, four seconds ago, that if he did have a soulmate... he'd be able to just toss them aside. That he'd be strong enough to do so. That it wouldn't even effect him, with his strength and tenacity. 

If he'd had the liability of love before, would he have made it this far? Though he became Number One Hero through a shameful turn of events, the title is now his, and he must live up to it. He knows he will never size up to All Might's reputation in society's judgmental gaze. He will never fill the shoes he left behind for them. All he can do is hold the pillar steady until Shoto climbs atop it and takes his rightful spot. There will be some time before then, he knows, but he is willing to wait. He can be patient. Shoto is so strong, so resilient, and he will be a better hero and man than Enji ever was. Enji is all the gladder for it.

Except now his foundation has been very much shaken, and he doesn't know what to do. He has no idea how... how to cope with this, with any of this! It had all been a mistake. If he knew it was coming, he'd have avoided it for his own sake. But he'd run into them anyway, and now he could hardly move, or breathe, or think.

Enji had been snapped from his thoughts at the flash of another camera. His bland expression had twisted into something more annoyed, startling the teenage girl who'd snapped the photo to begin with. She and her friends had shrunk back under his glower, giggling to one another at his intimidating form. Enji's jaw clenched, and he'd swallowed his irritation and sharp remarks as best he could. Since becoming Number One, the spotlight had somehow become more heavy. He hadn't realized that was possible. He vaguely wonders how All Might did it. He doesn't dare reach out to ask. He can-- has been doing this. Until right now. This second. 

Everyone was waiting to see what he'd do, and he'd just been so stressed at the time. They all wanted to see hw he'd measure up. His kids were distant and probably hated him, and that was all by his own fault, he knew. Coming home to an empty, quiet home night after night made him miss the days when Natsuo, Fuyumi, and Touya would all rush down the halls with tiny, pounding footsteps, shouting about trivial things he couldn't be bothered to remember. He never thought he'd say such a thing. They'd been so annoying back then, but with all the recent stress, he hasn't had much time to connect with other people. It feels like his entire life is flashing before his eyes right here, right now.