Chapter 1

Third person pov

Hoshi has done his research. He's google searched. He's Web MD-ed. He even read through an article on the Mayo Clinic site because yes, it's that serious. His thirty collective minutes of digging around on the internet had brought him to one, very solemn conclusion. One he had no fucking clue what to do with.

He has spontaneously developed some form of malignant cancer.

Now hold your horses before you go calling him out; I know what you're thinking. Hoshi, what the fuck do you mean you spontaneously developed a form of malignant cancer? That's not possible! Uh huh, yeah, that's what Hoshi thought too before going into a full-blown scholarly dive into Google. He even clicked to page two, which has hasn't had to do since that one time he almost overdosed on Advil. The world works in mysterious ways apparently, and one of those ways is Hoshi getting an aggressive case of stomach cancer.

He feels sick and can hardly eat, and at first he thinks it's the brain damage, but he hasn't had any headaches to indicate as such and hasn't since the whole accident bullshit. There's a pit in his stomach that seems to have opened up, and he finds himself aching and struggling to breathe some days. His fellow dance students have never paid him much mind. He'd much older than they are and functionally quirkless to boot, but even they've seemed relatively concerned by the way he drags himself into the studio day after day like he's bordering on becoming a corpse. Hoshi feels like he just got Texas Smashed right in the face by god himself.

He wonders if this is what it would feel like to get beat up by the Mafia version of Big Bird from Sesame Street. There's this tugging in his chest that makes him feel nauseous, and Hoshi honest to god feels like he's been hit with a baseball bat all over. He's felt his fair share of pain and has gone through his fair share of hardships in life, yeah! He's a stoner with no talents, his parents abandoned him when they realized what in fresh hot hell had really happened to him, and now he's wading through his college courses whilst pursuing a dream that's not going to amount to anything despite what a blow to the bank dance classes are. All that... it hurts, but not like this. Not like his newfound stomach cancer.

Even his professors are worried. He's falling behind in the few classes he can really afford to take. Dancing isn't going to get him anywhere, so he's been trying to make a career for himself somehow on the side whilst keeping the hobby up for his own sake. His teachers are understanding and they're proud, and it makes Hoshi feel good. But now he's beginning to fail, too tired, too aching to do anything well anymore. He can hardly listen to their lectures, let alone process the coursework given. And now he can hardly dance-- the one thing he actually feels good at.

He's sort of an idiot. No, scratch that, he is an idiot. He's spacy and shotguns beers for fun, has no concept of time management, and has the overall common sense of a pear. He'd been trying to get back on his feet as best he can but it's just not working! It hasn't been working for the past couple years, and now of course he's going to fucking die or something. That's just his life, isn't it? Disappointment and questionable near-death experiences. 

There is only one solution to this issue. Because he is Dummy-with-a-capital-D broke and in massive financial debt, he's left with limited options and limited time. He's never really valued his life tons anyway, he guesses. Like, dancing is fun and so is the whole college thing, but if he's going to die anyway he may as well go out with a bang. He hasn't gone to a party this big in a while, but he's hoping he can drink the pain away. If he can reach blackout-- which isn't easy for a guy like him-- maybe his drunk self will be able to power through the pile of homework he's got sitting in his ramen box of a one-room apartment later. 

If he doesn't pass out on the street naked before then or something. Maybe he should set a reminder on his phone... no, last time he did that he got confused and ended up in a breakdancing competition with that homeless guy who stole his right shoe. The guy still has it to this day. Wears it on his belt like it's a buckle or something.