Chapter 1: Rooftops

Slender pale hands clenched the railing, the wind blew along with the curly green locks and other night debris. Soft breathing and the other noise of the night was all that he could hear in his tranquil state, and all he could see was the stars if he squinted hard enough. Izuku let out a soft sigh and swung his feet back and forth over the edge contemplating. He hummed you are my sunshine under his breath while he sat, it was routine at this point. Not a moment later a soft patter of footsteps could be heard making its way closer. Izuku swiveled his head towards that direction, tensing up. 

A gruff voice spoke up, “hey kid come off the rail.” You couldn’t exactly decipher who the man was, but with the hum of the street lamp and the captured weapon, Izuku knew instantly who the familiar person was. “Eraserhead,” he whispered out. The man raised an inquiring eyebrow in response. “Surprised that you recognized me, now can you come off of there.”  The corner of Izuku’s lips twitched up, “I’m not going to jump if that’s what you’re worried about.” The older man approached slowly like one would approach a stary animal. “Then why are you out this late on a rooftop?”

“I could ask you the same thing Easer,” Izuku bit back, smirking. Eraserhead sighs pinching the bridge of his nose in the process. “ Because I saw an apparent brat that was sitting on the edge of the railing of a building.” The green-haired boy jumped off the railing onto the safe part of the roof. 

“Come on kid, I gotta escort you home now.” Izuku scowled shoving his shaking hands in his hoodie pocket walking up to the hero reluctantly.” “You know the just because I was on the top of a rooftop doesn’t make me suicidal.” They continued walking down the stare well when Eraserhead responds, “I never said anything about assuming you were suicidal.” The shorter male rolls his eyes, “It’s the only logical assumption.” Easer smirked at the response burrowing his face into his capture weapon.Their footsteps echoed down the stair wall until they reached Izuku’s floor, they opened the door, eyes adjusting to the light, and walked in. Once they reached the designated door Izuku pulled out his key and opened his door. 

Izuku turned around to look at Easer hands clasping behind his back, “thanks for walking me home I guess Eraser.” He just gave a nod and walked off. Izuku sighed, taking off his shoes, and went back to his room.

The next night he was sitting on the same rooftop, in the same position, with different thoughts. He liked times like this, him by himself in these serine moments where he’s high up, to the point he feels closer to his mom. Rooftops have always been his escape. So he sits, legs swinging back and forth a familiar movement that makes him feel like a kid for just in those lonely seconds. Familiar footsteps are heard approaching and Izuku turns are to face in the man’s direction. “You’re up here again,” Eraserhead remarked.

“Thanks for pointing that out”, Izuku drawled out.

“Brat.” “Old man.”

The man sighed which seemed common in Izuku’s opinion. 

“So why are you out here again,” the older man questioned. “I’ve been coming out here for years, but if you must know I come here to think.” The man looked at him, his gaze was analyzing, but the boy was fine with it, he was used to looks at least this one wasn’t negative.

Eraserhead approached the boy sitting next to him. “Why do you feel the need to think on the railing at three am.” Izuku tilts his head and closes his eyes for a second reopens them and responds, “ everything just…stills up here, ya know.” Eraser gave a single nod of acknowledgment and spoke, “I can see that.”

“Well, are you going to be escorting me home again?” 

“Smart, and yes, come on brat.” They both hoped of the railing and made their way to the stairwell again.  And so this routine continued for three to twice a week for three months, banter was exchanged and they became familiar with each other.

.

.

.

Izuku sat on the railing all movements familiar and perfectly comfortable all part of the routine that he’s grown used to for years, and even more so the last three months.  He didn’t know when his rooftop times became not his, but his and Aizawa’s. It brings a warm feeling in his chest that doesn’t burn like fire or explosions, and he’s grateful for that because something warm has never quite felt anything except harmful and brash. He shakes his head like that will somehow stop his train of thoughts. He sits there humming waiting for the anticipated barely audible footsteps. He doesn’t have to wait for long, because the familiar sound reaches his ears.

“Hey, Zawa.” The hero gets closer till he’s leaning on the rail beside the small boy, “Hello brat.” Izuku gave a crooked grin in response eyes lighting mischief (it’s a new thing really, for Izuku’s eyes always looked dull when Shota first met him; they still are but at least they light up like this time to time.) “but you love it,” Izuku replies with a cherish grin. “Maybe,” Aizawa nudges Izuku’s shoulder and it really is a testament to how comfortable with each other, because Izuku no longer flinches at the touch. “How was patrol old man?” Aizawa thinks about the answer for a bit and then responds, “It’s been quiet, how is your school project going?” Izuku face scrunches at the mention of school but smooths it out in a flash. “I got it done.” Izuku gives a dry grin at his words like they were funny. ( He did finish the project and it turned out great, what a shame it wasn’t fire resistant though.) Aizawa gives him a knowing look, he knows school isn’t Izuku’s favorite topic, he never told him why and he won’t push what fragile trust he is given.

The night continues like that for an hour with idle chit-chat and comfortable silence, soon Izuku gets ready to leave and Aizawa follows, it a routine that they have developed during their time together. Halfway down the stairwell Izuku came to a realization and let out a quiet “Shit.” Aizawa snapped his head towards the boy’s direction and said “What?” 

“I came to the roof by my window, and like a dumbass, I don’t have my key on me. And to top it all off my father probably locked my window.” Aizawa’s lips thin, “you say this like you talk from experiance.” Instead of giving a verbal response, Izuku gives another one of his dry grins. “What will happen if you knock on your door,” Aizawa inquires. Izuku snorts,” I’ll be left outside.” Aizawa scowls at the response, and suddenly blurts out a response before he can ponder on his words, “You can sleep at my place.” Izuku’s visible eye widens, “I-I are you serious.” “I wouldn’t offer if I wasn’t.” 

And so the two made their way back to Aizawa’s for the night to continue