Twelve

The strategy meeting adjourns before midnight, with Stigian and Lucent alike exhausted. Every decision required extensive back and forth—a battle to gain slight dominance over the other. It took Kyron's persistence, my father's guidance, and the knowhow of Stigian's leading warrior to get a plan under way for merging the two armies.

The Lucent men remain talking at the end of the table while the room clears out. I stand, not in the mood to recap the day's events and kiss my father and godfather on the cheek. After insisting Zek remain with them, I make my exit.

I step into the hallway to find Kyron and Esmeray glaring at one another. The prince claps his mouth shut, cutting off their conversation. It is astonishing that I never saw how much he resembles her and Micah. The angles of their eyes, sharp features, and beautiful golden skin. Like the twins, he is the epitome of LeFur royalty.

"Goodnight, Mother," he says with a bow.

"This discussion isn't over, Kyron."

With a brisk pace, I make my way past them and to the grand staircase.

"I'm sure it isn't," he says, and his footsteps follow behind me.

It doesn't take him long to catch up with his long stride, and we ascend the stairs to the upper floors together. Pushing aside the tension which has lingered between us all day, I bask in our comfortable silence. It reminds me of our days walking back to camp after my training sessions. I always appreciated the tranquility after my body and emotions were put to the test, and today was just as grueling.

Of course, there was one moment which outshined the rest and left me with a question begging for an answer.

"Why do you think your mother is so persistent that you and I marry?"

Kyron shoots me a glance from the corner of his eye. "You don't believe she wants me to find happiness with the woman I share a bond with?"

"Do you believe that?"

"No."

It can't be easy to believe the only parent one has doesn't have their best interest at heart. We're both familiar with the priorities of a sovereign. The kingdom always holds precedence above all else, even one's child. And for that, I'm grateful to be the daughter of a general and a mother who chose to spend her days caring for her children. My parents put me and my siblings above all others; Micah and Borin could never give me that kind of attention. I got the best possible childhood of any sovereign before me.

Kyron rubs the back of his neck and exhales. "My mother thinks you're weak, and I can sway you away from your convictions. To her, you are the easy answer to getting what she wants most... all of Pliris."

Anger bubbles inside me, crawling up my throat and heating my face. Of course, she would think I'm weak; I'm nothing more than a vessel for the power which is useless inside my body. She doesn't consider me a superior being or even an equal partner in my bond with Kyron. If it weren't for my status, she would press him to marry someone else.

I stomp up the stairs until we reach the fourth-floor landing.

Kyron grabs my arms and gently turns me toward him. "She doesn't know you, Raelle. She doesn't understand your compassion and dedication to see a kingdom where every person is equal."

"You used to want that too." I search his eyes for any indication that we still fight for the same cause. "You once told me you would do whatever it takes to tear this kingdom apart. You didn't want anyone else to feel the pain you went through when detoxing from the power you siphoned from others."

"That's where you and I differ. Nothing will deter you from doing what you know is right for your kingdom. And I will do anything for you...no matter the cost." He brushes the backs of his knuckles along the side of my face. "She thinks you are the weaker in our bond, but it's me. You would move mountains for the betterment of Lucent, and I would spend a lifetime aimlessly collecting the stars for you."