𝑶𝑵𝑬

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ UNDER PRESSURE

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA SEPTEMBER 23, 2018 5:01 A

SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
5:01 A.M.

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" Waking up to billows of black smoke and her apartment's fire alarm was not how Cassie expected her first morning as a firefighter to go. The whiff of smoke irritated her nose and eyes as she scrambled out of bed looking for her roommate, Crystal Hart.

"Crystal!" No answer.

"Crystal!" A pan clatters on the kitchen floor, notifying that was exactly where the said woman was at currently.

"Cassie hey girl," The brunette coughed, racing to the kitchen window to filter out some of the smoke.

"What the hell Crystal!" Cassandra groaned swinging a rag around the room hoping the smoke would willingly comply and exit the apartment.

"You see I was trying to make breakfast, like some really good breakfast, but things got heated literally. " Behind her the toaster spits two pieces of burnt toast with specks of cinnamon on it, before emitting its own fumes and smoke, leaving the air once again in a gray haze.

"Don't you have an audition today?" Cassandra asked while opening the windows in the other rooms hoping that would help filter out some of the smoke.

Cassie and Crystal had been friends since college. The two had met at a frat party that neither had been invited to but happened to cross paths anyway, and had been friends ever since. The aspiring actress was always finding her way into trouble, but she could always count on Cassandra to help bail her out it, including the time she actually needed bail, but that's another story for another time.

"I figured I'd make you breakfast for your first day as a firefighter and me for my audition, but it looks like you got some practice in before the real deal."  She rushes placing pans of whatever she attempting to cook in the sink to soak.

Grabbing a strawberry poptart out from the pantry next to her, Crystal offered one to her roommate as a peace offering. "Good luck today! Kick ass and save lives."

"LA is not gonna know what hit it." The two women cheered toasting their poptarts before eating them greedily.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"ALRIGHT CAS, YOU CAN DO THIS. JUST GET OUT OF THE CAR." Cassie tried to pep herself after she arrived at the fire station. She was confident up until she stopped at the last red light before her destination. Her nerves had devoured any ounce of confidence and replaced it with anxiety.

It seemed as if the universe heard her prayers, when she looked for an excuse to stall, her phone rang, the caller ID showing a picture of Cassie and her adoptive mother, Alice Mitchell. The familiar ring tone echoed throughout her 2017 BMW, it was Demi Lavato's Confident. Ironically Cassie wasn't feeling very confident at the moment.