Chapter 15

~Ten Months Later~

"It's time," Yardaff said. He held Loki's helmet in his hands - all that was left of his brother. This was all for him. For Loki.

"It is," Krunagh agreed. His voice was deep and rough, even for a Frost Giant. "It's time to give the All-Father one last chance to admit to his wrongdoing."

"I hope he does," Yardaff said. "It would be a shame, to have to go to war - for so many more innocents to lose their lives because of him."

"The All-Father may be a fierce warrior, but he does not seek war," Krunagh said. "I am…uncertain, of how he may respond to our request."

"If you cannot be certain, there is no one who can," Yardaff said; "not many of our people remain who lived and fought in the old days of war." He paused, then added, "I am glad to have you join me in this; my last exchange with the All-Father was…far from diplomatic."

"As I served your father in the great war long ago, so too shall I serve you, My Lord," Krunagh said.

"I thank you, friend of my father," Yardaff said formally, setting his brother's helmet down on the frozen stone. "Let's go."

The young, inexperienced prince, backed by the old, battle-scarred general, stepped into the gate between Asgard and Jotunheim. Just before they left, however, a call rang out across the frozen wasteland.

"Stop!"

Just as she had when Yardaff had first agreed to rule side-by-side with Loki, Enchessa intervened at the last possible moment, sprinting to the gate faster than should be possible through her skill with ice magic.

"My Lady," Yardaff greeted her respectfully.

Enchessa joined the two male Frost Giants at the gate site without pretense. "I will join you, My Lord," she told Yardaff firmly. "I wish to see these monsters that parents tell their children stories about at night with my own eyes."

"My Lady, there is no need-" Yardaff began.

"I will come!" Enchessa said, in a tone that left no room for argument.

Yardaff sighed and gave her the traditional Jotun gesture of respect. "As you wish, My Lady," he said.

She returned the gesture, and the three Frost Giants left for Asgard.

~o~

The three Jotun ambassadors, for lack of a better term, came to Asgard just outside the armory. As had been his experience last time, Yardaff immediately felt the call of the Ice Casket.

"Do you feel that?" he asked the other two.

"The Ice Casket," Enchessa said softly.

"Remember, we are not here to reclaim it," Yardaff said to her; "not yet."